Saturday, March 7, 2020

TOWNES VAN ZANDT

I learned from reading The Writer's Almanac by Garrison Keillor that the legendary Texas song writer and performer, Townes Van Zandt, was born on this day in 1944.

One of his most well-known songs is Pancho and Lefty, which was recorded by (among others) Willy Nelson and Merle Haggard.

Before we hear it, though, listen to Van Zandt himself telling how he came to write it.




Townes was a troubled man, suffering from what is now known as bipolarism and addicted to alcohol and various illicit drugs.

He died on New Year's Day in 1997, at the age of 52.

In this video of Pancho and Lefty, he can be seen several times in cameos.

10 comments:

  1. I never heard of Townes Van Zandt or this song. I need to get out more!

    Willie could make chalk on a blackboard sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always been a big Merle fan and love willy too so this was great to listen to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pancho and Lefty is one of my all time favorites. It almost always makes me glassy eyed.
    Yes Van Zandt was a troubled soul, but he was beloved and an extraordinary writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did listen to this tune a few times over on East Washington Street, in Indianapolis, when I lived down in the "Chinese Creep Joint!"

      Delete
  4. I never heard Tom Van Zandt before and absolutely loved his story. It was great. I also had never heard the song Pancho and Lefty, but while it was on, Roger sang and knew all the words. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty certain that we listened to Pancho and Lefty a few times over on East Washington Street in Indianapolis.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pancho and Lefty is one of my favorite songs when I want to think and reflect on life. It has a timeless quality that suggests, at least to me, that just about nothing we do will not upset the ultimate fate of anything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like the visuals in the video Pancho and Lefty

    ReplyDelete