Monday, December 20, 2021

OMG, IT'S MONDAY

 I decided to try something in the kitchen this morning that the New York Times' Sam Sifton would call a No-Recipe Recipe.

So I threw a slosh of EVOO into a saute pan, broke a couple of eggs into a large mixing cup, tossed in a fairly large pinch of salt, some Cayenne pepper and then decided I needed something green and some additional flavor.

I went to the spice rack and grabbed a bottle of Herbs de Provence, twisted the cap off and shook the bottle liberally over my egg mixture.

That is when I found that particular bottle of herbs doesn't have a shaker top.

A good three tablespoons or more of Herbs de Provence now coated the top of my breakfast mix.

As I told SWMBO later when I was relating this saga, I didn't scream obscenities or pound the counter.

Just a quiet "Oh, shit" and then I got a teaspoon and scooped the excess off and threw it in the sink.

After beating this mess up, I poured it into the skillet, let it set slightly and then pressed a flour tortilla down onto it.

The idea is that the egg mixture will adhere to the tortilla which one can then lift out of the pan with a spatula, fold it and dig in.

All of that went fine except when I tasted it it seemed to have a non-discernible flavor of salt or cayenne and only a faint flavor of the Herbs de Provence, though that was the prominent taste.

I ate it anyway, though not with any real relish.




On a brighter front we heard from our management company this morning and learned that a week from Wednesday a crew will arrive with two new HVAC units and a crane to hoist them to the roof.

Installation will all be done in one day, they say, and our heating and air-conditioning problems should be solved.

As will our neighbor, Bill's, though he told me the other day he's had no problem with heating.

Both units were nearly 20 years old and he said that's about the life span of them so they were due to be replaced.

So that's my Monday. 

How's yours going?

9 comments:

  1. I got my son and daughter-in-laws present,an appliance for their kitchen. It's in the back of the truck, and my son will have to get it up the 26 steps to their house. So much for surprise gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Monday is right! This is when we cram 5 days into a 4 day work week. Like a shoe that is way too tight but you're determined to make it fit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. well better than yours I made a frittata today that was fabulous if I do say so myself. And my heating and are are fine so I think I'm in good shape. Talk to me tomorrow it could be a whole different story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've done that very thing although not with eggs. The salvage of the dish went OK but it wasn't something I would want to repeat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My cooking consists of heating up meals bought at a small shop that puts together meals. I've got quiche at the moment and plan on picking up a couple of meals tomorrow that should see me past the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Monday was making cards and beginning to write them..today is sending the first batch and after meeting our best mate for a walk in the park, repeat the process!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You need to be careful because it sounds like you're turning into the kind of cook that I am. You don't really want that :)

    ReplyDelete