Saturday, October 29, 2022

MUST BE THE COOLER WEATHER

 The BRD came by for a visit (and a meal) last weekend and during the preprandial cocktail hour was reminiscing with her mother about something she remembered from her early days in Indiana.

Salt-Rising Bread!

She said she couldn't find a recipe for it but I located one easily with the assistance of Mr. Google 

Or is it Miss Google? 

I dunno but whoever it is they do great work.

Anyway I found the recipe, printed it out and handed it to the daughter.

It seems to me a little complicated for someone who doesn't normally bake bread but she vowed she was going to try it.

It involves making a couple of starters and takes the greater part of two days but determined she was.

And yesterday she proudly showed us her end product.


Fresh from the oven, it looks pretty darned good to me.

Not to be outdone, I was in the Taylor Home Bakery this morning, answering a statement by She Who Must Be Obeyed: "I only have two slices of English Muffin Bread left."

My recipe is much simpler and faster than the one for Salt-Rising Bread so I scurried about and produced these two loaves.


There's a story about that bread.

Back when we lived in Mexico, Judy was disappointed to discover she couldn't buy English Muffins in the stores.

She was moaning about it on one of our necessary every six month journeys back to the border and some nice friend gave us the recipe for English Muffins in loaf form.

Somehow I got drafted and I've been making it ever since.

Either bread is best sliced thin and toasted.

I've just taken my two loaves out of the oven and the house smells great.

5 comments:

  1. I can't recall the last time I had English muffins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the smell of freshly baked bread!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make me want to bake bread again. I used to bake every week, and now I haven't baked in probably more than a year or two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My efforts failed miserably and then the weather turned cold so rising wasn't going to happen. I'll try again when the weather warms up, but I don't think it will become a weekly thing. I just want one successful loaf to boast about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't mean to be offensive Bruce but aren't your two loaves a little flat? In fact, I thought the most visible one was a bread board!

    ReplyDelete