Thursday, April 6, 2023

MORE ABOUT BIL KEANE

My story the other day about Bil Keane, which was prompted by Sharon's mentioning him on her blog, just keeps producing.

I received an email yesterday from a long time friend, the journalist and author down in The Big Valley Sam Lowe.

Sam and I first met many, many, many years ago in our home state of North Dakota.

Somehow we both ended up working in Phoenix, me for a t.v. station and Sam for a newspaper or two.

I asked him if I could repeat the story he emailed me and he said, "Sure, just make sure you spell my name right."

So here goes.

-----------------------------------

Your story about Bil Keane reminded me of my initial meeting with him.

I was just fresh from North Dakota, working at the Scottsdale Progress, when Keane introduced a dog named Sam into his cartoons.

I took mock offense at this and muttered that there should be more famous people named Sam, not so many dogs.

My boss said, "Well, call Bil up and tell him about it" and I responded, "Oh, sure, call up somebody as famous as Bil Keane."

And he said, "Sure, he's in the phone book."

So I looked and sure enough, there he was.

So with much apprehension I called and he answered with "This is Bil", (with only one "l").

So he invited me to his home to meet Sam.

He was a most gracious gentleman and always remembered the incident when we'd meet in the ensuing years.

Am attaching a photo to back up my story.

        Sam (the human one)


(left to right: Bil, Sam, and Sam)

Sam's story shows his sense of humor and foretells the career that has seen him write not only newspaper columns and articles but also a hefty pile of books.

Thanks, Sam.

Proud to call you a friend.

8 comments:

  1. It's wonderful when one thing leads to another and people and events connect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a great story. I love it. The photo of Bil, Sam, and Sam is wonderful in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your stories by installment. Cool folo up! tc cambria

    ReplyDelete
  4. 👍 Cheerful Monk

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never named a dog Sam, they've all been Max, but I've had several cats who were Sam. Now I have a grandson named Sam.

    ReplyDelete