Wednesday, April 5, 2023

SKETCHY

 I wrote yesterday that I would show you another piece hanging below the Bil Keane cartoon on my wall.

It's a sketch of yours truly in 2015.




I was attending a Diamondbacks game with my pal, Baseball Steve, at Chase Field in Phoenix.

Unbeknownst to me, there was a sketch artist sitting half a dozen seats away and he apparently became transfixed by my movie star looks and drew a picture of me.

The first I knew of it was when the stranger sitting next to me handed me the sketch.

It had been passed down by the artist.

I was stunned and upon having him pointed out to me I went to where he was sitting, thanked him and asked him how much he wanted for it.

He steadfastly and smilingly refused any payment.

Back in my seat, the inning came to an end and cameras throughout the park roamed looking for something to put on the Jumbotron until the game resumed.

I held up the sketch alongside my head and, lo and behold, the cameraman found me and within seconds I was on a huge screen seen throughout the ballpark.

It was a great laugh and when the game was over I once again approached the artist and tried to pay him and again he refused any payment, shook my hand and sent me on my way.

But there's more to this story which I just learned today.

I cropped down the artist's signature to see if I could figure out his name.

I never had before.




Using my secret cryptoanalogy skills, today I made it out to be "Roger Pops".

Then I went to the all-knowing Google and amazingly I learned his real name.

It is Roger Johnston but he sketches here and there as Roger Pops and here's a photo of him I found on Instagram.




I recognized his smiling face.

So now you know the rest of the story, as Paul Harvey used to say on his radio programs.

Thanks, again, Roger.

One other thing.

In a previous home I used to have an entire wall display of photographs and badges from my (somewhat) illustrious broadcasting career.

Judy named it and I kept it: Bruce's Trophy Wall.

12 comments:

  1. That's a great drawing of your movie star looks indeed! Roger sounds like a nice gentleman and I'm glad that you could figure out who he was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice guy he is. It's a great sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a great story and drawing. I love that you found his name and that photograph of him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great story. Quite magical really. Roger has a very kind face.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful story to go with that wonderful sketch. Roger looks like a very happy soul.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great story! Thanks tc Cambria

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful experience!
    ---Cheerful Monk

    ReplyDelete
  8. He does have a very nice face as YP says. Good talent too. That's a nice drawing of you.

    ReplyDelete