Tuesday, April 4, 2023

A GIFT FROM BIL

 My blogger friend, Sharon, has a post today that gave me an idea for this post.

(You can see her post here.)

I, too, own an autographed Bil Keane cartoon.

And, by the way, he did spell his first name with only one "L".

It was when Judy and I owned and ran a bookstore here in Prescott Valley.

One day his cartoon "The Family Circus" rang especially true for us so I quickly wrote him a letter at the newspaper in Phoenix and asked him if I could have a copy of it for our store.

He kindly sent one up to me, personally signed in one corner and we displayed it in the store until it went out of business.




You don't have to squint - I cropped the signature portion and blew it up.




I had met Mr. Keane many years before at a party and knew him to be a sweet gentleman.

This proved it once again.

When we moved into our present home I was planning what pictures to hang on a wall in my room and ran across this and decided to give it a place of honor.

There's another piece hanging below it, which I'll show you tomorrow.

13 comments:

  1. Good selection. I did see Sharon's post earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan and i have a friend who spells Bil with one L he says his dad knocked the other L out of him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had enjoyed Sharon's post when I read it this morning and now seeing yours reinforces the idea that Bil Keane was a really nice guy. I always read Family Circus as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always loved seeing The Family Circus cartoon, and yet somehow I never noticed that he spelled his name Bil. This is such a wonderful story. I'm looking forward to tomorrow's follow-up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always like family circus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That signed cartoon is a treasure and perfect for bookstore owners. I like that you owned a bookstore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How kind of him to do that. I loved the gentle humor of The Family Circus.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I vaguely remember The Family Circus, but don't remember where from, I don't think the comics were in our newspapers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you and good for Bil!
    ---Cheerful Monk

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love that cartoon.
    As a potter, my second line job has always been bookshops...with staff discount!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a treat to have this in your collection. I used to love those comics. They always rang so true.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always liked his cartoons. That's a nice story about him!

    ReplyDelete
  13. He sounds like quite the gentleman.

    ReplyDelete