Thursday, July 11, 2024

SUN PROTECTION

 As the mercury has spent several days climbing to and exceeding the century mark here in Beautiful Central Arizona, I have received questions about how anyone can stand the 100 degree heat.

I have tried to explain that the humidity is exceedingly low here.

As I'm writing this at midday the Weather Gods tell me it's 18 percent.

And that's pretty high for Arizona.

But that explanation - - a version of the proverbial "But it's a dry heat" - - doesn't seem to calm people down.

So I post a photo of myself just after sweeping branches and twigs from a dead tree out of my driveway.

I probably shouldn't have worn a black t-shirt but the other part of my "costume" was good protection.




When I caught a glimpse of myself in a mirror, I told my wife "that probably scared the neighbors."

She took a look at me and agreed, "that IS scarey."

So it goes in the land of sunshine and glee.

17 comments:

  1. Very sensible...I hope you weren't out at mid-day... after all you are neither a mad dog or an Englishman!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I WAS out at mid-day and I am partly English but mostly Norwegian. So maybe I'm a mad Viking.

      Delete
  2. tc-Light/Breezes You look like a character in a David Lynch film!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've been lucky here. Not as bad as some summers and it eventually gets below 70 in the early morning. Stay cool and safe!
    ----Cheerful Monk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe about the same as here, at least for the lows.

      Delete
  4. Even at low humidity, I couldn't handle that heat although I've read that our bodies adapt to it over time. Takes about a year though? You look very dashing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent 15 years in Phoenix back in the 1970's and 80's. But when I went back in 2013, 10 months was all I could take.

      Delete
    2. However, I have lived in Arizona for 46 years.

      Delete
  5. It suddenly hit me a few years ago that I could not endure much heat anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But Red! You live in Alberta! What heat do you get there?

      Delete
  6. That's a good outfit to ensure that weirdos don't approach you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree 18% humidity isn't all that high. We sometimes hear the weather girl say humidity was at 78% or similar and we all nod and say "I thought it felt sweatier than usual".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your header has changed!! How is the painting progressing?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, I have that hat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice outfit! My husband looks the same when he goes out--sun hat, sunscreen, white long-sleeved shirt. When he remembers.

    ReplyDelete