Saturday, September 14, 2024

THE REAR VIEW MIRROR

Many people, SWMBO among them, are keeping a close eye on this year's presidential campaign.

While I do read some articles online and occasionally watch some of the constant coverage on television, I am generally leaving the outcome to fate this year.

As a former radio and television journalist, I am finding it tiring.

But 60 years ago, when I was a young lad, it was a different story.

That was 1964, the year Senator Barry Goldwater was the Republican nominee.

When he made a campaign visit to North Dakota, where I was still living, I was hot on his trail.




Or maybe I should say "hot on his tail!"

That young clean-shaven guy in the houndstooth jacket behind him is your Catalyst.

Ten years later, I was living in Phoenix and Baseball Steve and I traveled to Washington, D.C. where a coterie of former staffers  of the Senator had organized an event around the title of the 10 year anniversary of the non-inauguration of Barry Goldwater.

I met then-president Gerald Ford on that visit.

But back home and off the campaign trail I was a hard-partying man of the 70's.




And then the calendar pages rapidly flutter past and it was the middle 80's and my bride and I were about to move to Mexico.

My friend Tommy Terrific sent me off with this clever card.




Ah the memories.

Who would have ever thought all that would have come out of this sweet young boy back in the 1940's?




But it could be that's where "Here, kitty-kitty" first began!

13 comments:

  1. Ah, yes. What a great president Barry Goldwater may have made. We lived down the street from Gerry Ford in East Grand Rapids. Such a nice guy. I'm with you. The election will be what it will be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don’t forget looking for Shirley Chilsom back in ‘77!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not as sanguine as you about the upcoming election and am a bundle of nerves about how this will play out, no matter what the results are. I can only take so much of the news though; John seems to easily detach from it whereas I get much more emotionally invested.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would venture that you still have arms, but are perhaps only moderately dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. tc/Light/Breezes—well at least we are not chasing candidates and deadlines this time around. It’s a game for the younger. Love seeing the old pics

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, you were cute and so was the kitty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A life of great adventures, starting with just one cute little cat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love seeing the young you standing there behind Barry Goldwater. I hadn't thought of that man in so many, many years. Great photos! (NewRobin13)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What memories!
    ——CM (Cheerful Monk)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photos. Like you, I am not following all the election hype. I know who I will vote for so why worry over it?
    How life does speed by. Crazy when we look back isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I note that Barry Goldwater was Arizona born and bred. He died in Paradise Valley which must be the last stop on the way to Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Please tell me you will vote though...

    ReplyDelete