Tuesday, January 1, 2013

DIVE RIGHT IN!

The new year - 2013 - or MMXIII - has officially begun.  I found a message on my telephone this morning from the BRD and her Beau Jack.  It came in at 12:05 a.m. on the phone just a few feet from where I was already sleeping.  I never heard the phone ring.  The message was those two jokers singing (if I can stretch things by using that term) a loud and off-key Happy New Year.  Suffice it to say you are fortunate I can't play it here on my blog.

So today is January 1st once again.  I see the Senate overwhelmingly passed a tax increase for the wealthy.  It's now up to the House to do the same.

In spite of the weather where ever you are today is also a day for Polar Bear Plunges.  That's where people strip down to bathing suits and go for a (quick) swim in the usually icy water.  It is named, of course, after polar bears that swim in all kinds of weather.


"Huh?  Are you talkin' to me?"

Not all people (or bears) are ready for such an immersion into the new year.  I certainly am not.  But my late uncle, who lived in San Francisco, told me he had spent one entire year swimming every day in San Francisco Bay.  Brrrr.  Not for me the spartan life.

But I admit the Polar Bear Plunge, or whatever it's called around the world, does fascinate me.  So if you're looking to get your year started with a shock to your system . . . be my guest and dive right in.


"Ooooohhhhh, this looks like it's gonna be another belly flop!"

6 comments:

  1. Oh I don't THINK so! Brrr! I was complaining about getting into Lake Erie in July the other year :)

    Happy New Year to you Bruce!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did a polar bear plunge for charity one January in the Willamette River here in Portland. The water was very cold and parts of my shrank never to recover their original size, or so I tell myself. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer the hot sauna dive. Well, perhaps sit, than a dip in cold water when you come out. It has been a few years for that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I continue thinking about doing the Polar Bear plunge into the Pacific, but so far it is only a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I did that I wouldn't live to see January 2nd.

    S

    ReplyDelete