Sunday, March 30, 2014


For some unknown reason, in my retirement years I've taken to retiring for the night earlier than I have for many decades and rising at the crack of dawn, or earlier.

Last night, I turned out the light before ten o'clock after reading a bit in my current book and promptly went to sleep.  Until about 3 a.m. 

I wakened then, as I frequently do, and made the middle of the night visit to the bathroom.  Then back to bed.  Where I rolled and tossed, as the expression goes, for half an hour becoming more and more awake.  
Finally I gave up.  I rose, went to my den and turned on the computer.  I checked the Powerball numbers, learned once again that I was not a zillionaire, read a couple of emails, scheduled a couple of payments for next month, scanned the Sunday New York Times digital edition, worked two crossword puzzles from the L.A. Times, checked the current news to see if any legitimate sign of that missing airplane had been found yet (it hadn't), and finally turned the computer off at about 5:30 and went back to bed.  Now, I'd finish my night's sleep, I reasoned.

I reasoned wrong.  About 45 minutes of sleeplessness later my right foot, which suffers from neuroma or nerve pain, was driving me nuts.  It suddenly occurred to me that I might have forgotten to take my "night pills" before turning out the light.  I checked.  I had overlooked them. Included in my night pills is an over-the-counter sleep aid and not taking it last night apparently caused my wakefulness.  So I rose, took my "morning pills", which includes something for the foot pain, sighed mightily and got dressed.  Outside to pick up the print edition of the Sunday New York Times.  Warmed a cup of coffee and here I am about 2-1/2 hours later.

 I just related my experience to SWMBO and she noted correctly "It sounds like a nap day."  It does indeed and I hopefully will enjoy one. Or two.

But I was just thinking as I wrote this:  "Damn!  This growing old business is not a lot of fun!"


  1. Bruce, we adapt, adjust, and go with the flow. I have nights like that. After a middle of the night trip to the bathroom, I sometimes find it hard to get back to sleep. Not sure why. No before bed pills to forget. Guess it's just getting older/

  2. Ditto here, Bruce. I awake at 2:30, trudge to the loo, then spend a half hour to an hour thinking about some damn thing or the other. The 'golden years' indeed.

  3. I love me a "nap day" I have several every week.

  4. You just described my typical night. After a while it seems normal. CPAP machine, enlarged prostate bathroom breaks, lack of exercise, naps, all are part of getting old. But on the positive side is all the things you learn from info commercials in the middle of the night.

    1. Phil I had to laugh at your last comment. SWMBO says one should not turn on either the television or the computer if you find your sleep disturbed. Apparently the contribute to the problem. Better to read a book.

  5. Sorry to hear of your disturbed night. It is a source of gratitude that I never need to visit the bathroom once I go to bed. If I cannot sleep, I simply use the time to think about something boring, that seems to help - unless I have left shoulder joint of leg problems. "Nap days" are good! And our Mol loves them as well; it gives us a chance to share quality time together.

  6. I have a sure fire sleep aid but unfortunately it isn't legal everywhere, including where I live. Have a nice afternoon siesta.

  7. I know how you feel. As I'm reading this I'm so drowsy I can barely hold my eyes open. Wake me in 20, OK? ;)

  8. I just got up from a nap an hour ago. Up at five, we had breakfast at 9 and went back to bed at 10:30, half hour with a book and slept until 2. It's our weekend routine.
    I sleep between 5 and 6 hours a night. If I go to bed at ten, I'm up at 4. I kind of like the quiet time in the early morning.

  9. Wow! You do more before 5:30 a.m. than the U.S. Army does all day. (for any young whippersnappers who think that's insulting the Army--it used to be a slogan)