Friday, July 6, 2012

SWMBO SPEAKS

She's back!  Yes, once again SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed) has been rankled and has risen to . . the pen.  Herewith, her recent epistle:

Watermelon!!


I'm fed up!  Why is everyone trying to improve on watermelon?  What's to improve?

The last straw was a recent potluck dinner party when one of the guests said, "You all are my guinea pigs tonight.  I tried a new salad recipe.  Hope you like it."

Well, I didn't.  Watermelon accompanied by garlic and olives and tomatoes, for God's sake!  Garlic, olives and tomatoes love each other but they get together and jump on watermelon and kick all the texture, flavor and beauty right out of it.

Today I received a new magazine in the mail and there it was: a recipe for tomato, cucumber and watermelon salad, with cilantro, scallions and cayenne!

Okay, folks.  I'm not a complete purist.  One of my favorites is a "Melon Salad" using equal amounts of watermelon, honeydew and cantaloupe with a bare hint of raspberry vinaigrette and fresh mint.

If you do much more than this, you kill the essence.  And don't even let me hear that you put some on the grill.

I'm just sayin'.

7 comments:

  1. No argument from me! There's little in the world better than a cold, sweet watermelon eaten on a hot, hot day.

    S

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit, I like the seedless ones better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They've started making smaller ones now, about the size of a big honeydew, but rounder, and the pips quite small.

    Grilling it is certainly an abomination. I did once try a salad with them with cucumber and mint and feta cheese, and well, maybe there were some black olives involved, no garlic. It was OK, I wouldn't bother again. I think the cucumber's a good combo.

    There was still loads of melon left, the dog discovered she liked it and ended up eating rather more than she should have, which had regrettable consequences - dogs' digestive systems obviously aren't designed to eat watermelon.

    Always good to see you here SWMBO!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will follow the mandate of your name, SWMBO, and obey. I promise never to besmirch the honesty of watermelon with all the extra crap. When it comes to watermelon, I'm a purist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agree, that watermelon by itself is best, followed by your "melon salad," HOWEVER-we had a wonderful
    salad on the fourth. Watermelon, feta cheese, olives and red onion. I know, I know, but tasting it make us swoon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, I agree :-)
    Watermelons are a hard find over here!

    ReplyDelete