Tuesday, August 26, 2014

ELECTION DAY

Today is Primary Election Day in Arizona.  But if you are a Democrat, as I am, it doesn't mean much.  For example, in the governor's race there are six Republican candidates vying for the nomination.  On the Democrat side there is just one.  In Yavapai County, where I live, there are four Republican candidates for two seats in the State House of Representatives.  On the Democrat side, just one.  For a member of the Blue Man party, life in a predominately red county can be frustrating.

Still I voted.  And I have the sticker to prove it.


There are more independents than Republicans or Democrats in Arizona now.  They may be leaning left because one news story I read this morning said only 6 percent of them had requested early ballots.  With no, or very few, races on the Democratic side of the ballot, they may just be sitting this one out.

The real test will come in November, at the General Election.

By the way, I have a friend in Phoenix who registered many years ago as a Republican.  I berated him loudly until he told me he did it so he could vote in the Primary Elections for the weakest Republican candidate.  I wonder how many like him are out there.

9 comments:

  1. My Grandfather was an elected County Judge. He was a Republican, by today's Republican standards he is Bernie Sanders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite a difference from Oregon politics where I always felt the best person in a group 0f 10,000 was running for office; while in Arizona it feela like it is the worse person out of 10,000 runs for office.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the days of Tom McCall, Morse, Goldschmidt. I like Kitzhaber too.

      Delete
  3. I applaud your industry to be up and voting early. Then of course in Lake County Indiana-in the behavioral shadow of Chicago-the motto was
    Vote Early and Vote Often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, you misunderstand the "I voted early". In Arizona we have what is termed "early voting" which means one can vote by mail (as I did) far ahead of election day or at various offices in advance of election day. And yes I well remember the "Vote Early and Vote Often" plea of the first Mayor Daley's crew.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations. Voting is your ticket to the great bitchfest of American politics. I won't listen to anyone who doesn't vote...unless they agree with me of course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In some states one can vote in either primary. A stratagy that's works in a few instances. As someone, maybe Truman? said "If there's a government job a Democrat can't fill, get rid of the position."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually if I was still registered as an independent in Arizona I believe I could have chosen which primary I wanted to vote in.

      Delete
  6. I used to be like your friend but frankly, I got so tired of constantly being bombarded with mail that would make me mad. I have thought about registering as independent so I could request a Republican primary ballot but I like being a Democrat so I'm staying put. I went to the Democratic election night party last night for just a little while but, without any exciting races there wasn't much going on. However, everyone was cheering Tom Horn's loss. Well....except for Tom Horn who on top of all his other antics is now a sore loser.

    ReplyDelete