Monday, September 14, 2015

EXERCISE

Every time I see any of my doctors they always ask me if I exercise.

Shamefacedly, I always respond that I have been doing some walking.

The doctors then tell me that is good exercise, if I do it for about 45 minutes every day, or at least several days a week.

My walks are more leisurely, 10 or 15 minutes, and of late they've been weeks apart.

So I'll try to get back to daily walks and try to extend their duration.

There are a lot of walkers in my neighborhood, some with dogs, some without, some amblers, some power walkers.

So the example has been set for me.

My longtime friend, Tom, over in California, has taken up tennis and become quite involved with a group of fellow seniors (sorry 'bout that, Tom). I think most of them are older than he is.

I don't plan to take up tennis.

But there is an alternative, apparently designed for we age-challenged folks.

It's called Pickleball.

It's sort of a cross between ping pong and tennis.

It's played with a paddle and a plastic ball and a net.

I've read that it's easy to learn but can develop into a fast-paced and competitive game for experienced players.

The other day I wandered (drove) over to the recreation center here and watched a group of four playing the game for a short time.

It looks like fun though I'm not sure I'm agile enough for it.


Maybe I'll just WALK over and be a spectator.

10 comments:

  1. Talking to a friend I played hockey with in HS...and was stunned to hear he was going to play again this year in an over 50 league at the age of 70. I quit at 36.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The exercise, if it's cardio in nature, is a great idea. Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pickleball still looks like tennis moves to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I joined a gym instead of buying a treadmill because paying that monthly bill sort of gets me out of the house and to the gym. If I bought a treadmill it would end up as a towel holder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, to set the record straight only a few of the folks I play tennis with are older than me, but they have also been playing the game for years and are crafty and skilled. One of the fellows is 92 but I defy anyone to watch him play and come close to guessing his age. Most of us think he is at least 20 years younger. He runs, dashes to the net and may be the best net player in the league. People here prove that if you are active and stay fit you can still play-at many things-and it adds zest to life.
    We have a new Pickleball Club here in Cambria and it's gained a crowd of players. They've just built new courts.
    Caution though, a lot of new pickle ball players under estimate the muscle use and loading. We've seen back, hip, ankle and tendon injuries. Like all sports, warm up and stretching is important. It's a fun game, less physically demanding and athletic than tennis, but it is getting people active.

    As for you my dear old friend--we love you too much for you not to heed the Doc's advice and up the exercise. Walking is perfect and you have a beautiful area to do so. Start realistically and extend as you can. You'll build up your energy level. It sounds like a cliche' but it's true-you'll feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been taking walks every day after dinner. I admit I'm feeling more energetic the more I do it. Damn those doctors and their good advice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I walk the dog 4 times a day, but he's more a "sniffer" than a "walker", so I'm not sure how much good it's doing ME. I used to enjoy ping pong, and was actually pretty good at it, but after several retina surgeries, my depth perception, at least on one side, is toast. It's hilarious to watch me try to hit that %^& little ball! I think I'll just try and walk more, without the dog once in a while. Good luck my friend with your exercise regime, whatever it turns out to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to play ping pong a lot! I loved it. My parents played & they were a lot of fun to watch - my mom was killer quick & my dad was the king of English. I remember playing him & ALMOST winning, only to realize he was playing me left handed. Ha!

      Delete
  8. I really need to up my daily walk duration - I average about 20 minutes (that's how long it takes me to go a mile). My 75 year old dad is interested in pickle ball, but so far there's only one league in his area.

    ReplyDelete