Tuesday, May 17, 2016

TUESDAY TRAVELS

Today's journey takes us to one of the wonders of the world, the Golden Gate Bridge.

(Photo by RyanJWilmot)

The bridge links the city of San Francisco, California to Marin County.

It was begun in 1933 and opened to the public 4 years later.

But I have a surprise for you.

The following pictures were taken in 1935, halfway through the construction.





The views of the construction of the bridge were taken from either Marshall or Baker Beach by my uncle, Zenas Howland Taylor.


He was an accountant for the city water department and along with a group of adventurous friends made his way down the bluff to the beaches where they would swim in the ocean, work on their tans and build constructions from driftwood and whatever else they found.


A sturdy group of young men were these.

But also a bit wacky as they escaped from their workaday world and camped out on the beach on their weekends.


(See. I'm not the first one in my family to go in for those short shorts!)

8 comments:

  1. I was just going to say that 'the shorts' are a genetic trait you obviously couldn't escape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great historic piece. That must have been a grand time to live in SF.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever read Hebe Caen's columns from the 30's, just after he was hired by the Chron? Also a good slice of those times. Nice pictures. I would have liked to live in Marin, esp. over in Stinson Beach or Bolinas at that time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Men's swimwear was a bit risque in 1935. Not that I didn't look at the bridge pictures, of course...

    ReplyDelete
  5. L Lewis beat me to the shorts comment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice historic post. Super photos.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting post. And I like the new photo at the top of the page. A fine looking gentleman....so who's the bloke sitting in the chair? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those photos are amazing. I don't think I've ever seen photos from before the bridge was completed.

    ReplyDelete