Saturday, December 24, 2016

THE EVE

Christmas Eve prompts one's mind to drift back into memory land.

To remember holidays good and merry and bright and some that didn't achieve that distinction.

Gifts I remember from my childhood like the Erector Set that I was convinced from shaking the wrapped box before Christmas was a box of rocks.

My big brother might have had a hand in that, too.

The year I got a magic set, embarking me on an interest in the dark arts that has lasted all my life.

I still enjoy watching a good magician on television these days.

Huge turkey dinners and a competition to see who could get to the couch (we called it a davenport) for a nap and to rest an overstuffed belly.

Some Christmases spent totally alone, far from family and friends.

Not good, those.

And so it goes.

We shall spend some time this evening at the new home of the BRD and her Beau Jack.

(Yes, they're back together.)

Remember this thought as you all celebrate Christmas this year.


If you, like SWMBO, hate puns, place the blame on Lori Down the Block, who shared this with me last night.

As for myself, I love it.

Happy Hollandaise!

14 comments:

  1. I love a good pun and this one is great. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The year Rick got an erector set was his best Christmas ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't use to like puns, but they are starting to groan on me.

    I got an erector set and afterwards I crossed off engineer from my list of potential professions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wee fish, ewe, a mare, egrets moose.

    My aunt had a davenport, apparently it is (or was) distinct from a couch or sofa, which I was chastised for not knowing as a kid, but no one bothered to explain why.

    http://homeguides.sfgate.com/difference-between-sofa-davenport-94888.html

    Have you read Steve Martin's book Born Standing Up? He started out as a magician, I think you might enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have thought of it a few times when I read mentions of it but haven't gotten to it yet. Thanks for reminding me.

      Delete
    2. He really is a hard core magician from way back. Hardscrabble kid, working his way up, sort of thing.

      Delete
  5. Peace my brother. Love, light, cheer and joy. A few great eats and good beverage as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! Thanks for the laugh and may you have an especially merry holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I won't blame Lori because I found it funny. Take care and Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete