Thursday, December 29, 2016

THROWBACK THURSDAY

Back in 1961 I was working at a radio station in Minot, North Dakota.

I was, I am proud to say, a rock and roll disc jockey.

I was on the air every night as . . . wait for it . . . Bruce on the Loose.

Curiously, that monicker has stuck with me through the years.

Only a few years ago I was at a reunion picnic and someone I hadn't seen since high school said, behind me, "It's Bruce on the Loose!"

I don't have any pictures of me at the microphone, spinning my stacks of platters.

(Yes, you younger readers, the music was on 45 and 33 rpm vinyl discs in those days.)

But I do have this photo from that era.


I was 21 years old, living at a YMCA and here was putting all the seductive charm I could fathom on the young secretary in the office.

It didn't work.

Somehow, some way, she was able to resist my reptilian ways.

Bruce on the Loose, indeed!

10 comments:

  1. A dying breed. I'm sure it was not as easy as it sounded announcing the next record, making some humorous patter, and selling stuff.

    "Bruce on the loose," I guess "Cousin Brucie" was all ready taken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an attorney friend in Prescott who always called me "Cousin Brucie". He had moved to Arizona from New York many years ago and knew about that dj.

      Delete
  2. I can't recall the last time I've listened to the radio!

    Now I'll have to look up where Minot is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I squint my eyes, I can see the seductive charm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was that Madras plaid? Always the fashion maven. Did you have on your short shorts? I think that would have done the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bruce on the loose....I love it. Being a DJ was a lot different in those days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this story! You have had so many different lives - fascinating!

    ReplyDelete