Thursday, January 12, 2017

THROWBACK THURSDAY

Once upon a time, many years ago, I was hiking in the Superstition Mountains just above Lost Dutchman Park.

I was high up in the mountains, at the base of a vertical crag, when I decided to scale it a bit.

I saw an opening above me, grasped the ledge and pulled myself up to find myself face to face with a Gila Monster.

Now for those of you who don't know, the Gila Monster is a venomous lizard native to the Southwest.

Wikipedia tells me it has a sluggish nature and thus presents little danger to humans.

But it is a fearsome creature in appearance and well to be avoided.

Believe me, I let go of that ledge immediately and dropped down the few feet to where I could rest and get my heart rate back down.

I was reminded of that experience today when we pulled up to a hamburger joint in my present town.

For what did I see, in sculptured metal, outside the front door?


Yes, my old nemesis, sitting just as still as he sat on that ledge in the Superstitions.


As I gazed at him, he seemed to have a look in his eye that said "This is MY territory.  Don't mess with me, boy!"


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 
For those of you who responded to my post yesterday about Muggles, she seems to be doing much better today.

She is eating more, is acting much more animated and cuddles with Judy and asks for attention the minute she lies down.

Thanks for all your kind comments.

And avoid Gila Monsters, unless they are sculpted as art!

9 comments:

  1. Glad Muggles is on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear about Muggles.
    Did you have a Gila Burger or a Lizard and cheese maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific advise, but I don't think i'll be hiking in the Superstition Mountains anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From the photos I've seen of the beasties, they're like a throwback to dinosaurs! On a much smaller scale, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Giant Gila Monster, via MST3K.

    https://youtu.be/TNWLs7IgbZY

    ReplyDelete
  6. Between that lost Dutchman, and me being superstitious, I don't think I would have gone hiking there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Me thinks that is a Horned Toad lizard.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad I don't live where there are big venomous lizards! glad to hear Muggles is rallying.

    ReplyDelete