Tuesday, July 4, 2017


Judy's day didn't start off well.

Sometime in the darkness hours early Monday morning she woke to a pain at the rear of her right knee joint.

It grew progressively worse until she finally got some pain medication and some ice on it.

But then this morning the pain persisted from the back of the calf, up through the knee joint and into the back of the thigh.

When she tried her physical therapy this morning she was unable to take even one step and, in addition, she'd been given a muscle relaxant that had her groggy.

When I visited her the second time this morning she was back in bed, feeling depressed, and dozing off.

But I just spoke to her on the telephone and she said the head PT guy had worked on her leg for a good five minutes and given her a lot of advice about how to avoid the contractions, what to do when they start, when to ask for pain medication and how to loosen up the muscles.

And then she walked 32 STEPS!

She also learned this afternoon that she will have her staples removed from her surgery today.

So what started out as a rotten day has turned into a much better one.

And on the Goodwin Fire the latest I heard was that it is 91 percent contained and should be totally contained by tomorrow night at the latest.

So today is a Glorious Fourth of July!

Incidentally the traditional fireworks displays have been canceled in Prescott and Chino Valley but will go off as scheduled in Prescott Valley, where I live!


L Lewis said...

What a disservice to our firemen to be allowing fireworks in PV tonight. What IDIOT decided THAT? 32 Steps. Wasn't that a Hitchcock thriller? Oh, no. 39 Steps. 7 more Judy!

Should Fish More said...

One treatment algorithm that has been suggested consists of a graduated four-phase program, each of which last three weeks in duration. Transfer to the next phase is based on the result of fulcrum and hop tests carried out at the end of each phase. If the tests were positive (i.e., a failed test), the patient was returned to the beginning of that phase. In the first phase athletes walked with the help of crutches and were instructed to be non-weight-bearing on the affected leg. In the second phase normal walking was permitted, and swimming and exercising on the unaffected extremities was allowed. In the third phase the patients performed exercises with both upper and lower extremities using light weights. Patients were also permitted to run in a straight line every other day and ride a stationary bicycle. The distance that the subjects were allowed to run was gradually increased. In the fourth phase the patient resumed normal training. In this study all seven patients returned to normal
activity within 12-18 weeks with no recurrences noted at 48-96 month follow up.
This is just one of many worthy studies. Not my field, but I talked to the head ortho guy at UW last night, he seemed to think this one had merit.
Take care, nothing is every smooth


Lowandslow said...

That PT guy sounds like a miracle worker. What a turnaround! Glad she's doing better. Happy 4th to you all. :)

Tom Cochrun said...

Good for the PT guy and his help. Glad it is better for her now.

Kate said...

Pain is difficult and not something one wants to occur when recuperating. Hope she continues to heal without any more setbacks!!

RedPat said...

Glad to hear the good news at the end of the day!

Val said...

One step back and 32 steps forward! Good to hear she made tallies in the positive column!

Tom said...

Nothing I can add to the previous comments, except happy 4th. to you all.

Jager said...

Coming back isn't easy.

joeh said...

A long row to hoe, but Mike's comment on treatment sounds encouraging.

Stephen Hayes said...

This seems like a minor setback and now she's back on the fast track to recovery.

William Kendall said...

Good news!

Anonymous said...

Good for her.


Zhoen said...

Muscle spasms really suck. Glad she got the better of them.

I really like removing staples. Yeah, I know.

Steve Reed said...

Oh, good! I'm glad things turned around for Judy!