Wednesday, September 27, 2017

IT'S ALWAYS 5 O'CLOCK SOMEWHERE

Yeah, I know.

"All you ever talk about is drinking!"

Listen, when you get to my age there's not a lot else.

But this isn't about my quaffology (I made that one up!)

It is about Happy Hour at Ye Olde Blue Birdbath.


A Mountain Jay was one of many who partook of my "bird-tending" offerings this afternoon.

It happened suddenly.

There were birds of various types suddenly swarming the backyard.

It began with the jay at the "bar", when suddenly a big old mourning(?) dove nearly landed on his back.

(I am seriously questioning the adjectival description of these big bullies as "mourning".)


Actually, I don't think they are bullies . . I just think they're stupid.

Meantime, another Jay watched irritably from above.


The one at the birdbath was repeatedly slaking his thirst.



While this was going on a Phoebe's Say was twitching around on the ground beneath him, flipping up bugs from the sand for it's dinner.

It moved too fast for me to get a photo.

But there were others.

Robins and House Finches.

And Goldfinches.


Yeah, I know, once again.

I'm working with a cellphone camera here.

It doesn't zoom so well.

Or maybe I just couldn't hold it still enough when I was zoomed in.

Maybe I just need a drink.

Salud!  Prost!  Santé! Cheers!  Bottoms Up!

15 comments:

  1. I love how the color of the bird matches that of the bath!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers to you and your fine feathered friends. And yes, that matching blue is impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What happen to your other camera?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve, I dropped it on the ground about a year ago. It still works except for the zoom function.

      Delete
  4. When I saw all that open Fain land across the street from you, I knew you'd have birds again. They are happy you brought your bird bath when you moved in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice pictures.
    Most of the birds have flown south from here, the only one's left are the magpies and ravens. The ravens will hang out all winter, I think they spend nights in the mine shafts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great variety of wildlife you get to witness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To your drink, I say, "Cheers!" I've always heard that mourning doves are incredibly stupid birds. They even have tiny heads.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've got a whole lot of bird company!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love all these birds! And yes, doves are not the least bit bright - and they're klutzy. Watching them try to land anywhere is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how perfectly he matches your birdbath.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did you choose the birdbath specifically for the jay bird? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. The jay just showed up. But he may have liked the color. :^D

      Delete