Tuesday, April 10, 2018

A NEW LOOK

We're in the perfect months of Spring right now in Arizona but summer is on the way.

The climate has changed a bit where we live.

It's just about a mile high in elevation.

Like Denver.

But being closer to the equator, i.e. further south, it gets warmer.

It used to get to 100 degrees Fahrenheit maybe one or two days in the summer.

But recently we've had stretches of that kind of heat that lasted weeks.

We used to live in Phoenix, back in the 70's and 80's.

Once the mercury climbed to 122 degrees.

That was in June of 1990 and we fortunately were living in Guadalajara, Mexico then.

Guadalajara is known as the place with eternal springtime.

But if you want true heat you have to travel about 360 miles west-northwest from here.

To Furnace Creek, in the heart of Death Valley.


It got to 134 degrees there once upon a time.

I got to wondering what I might look like if I had spent my life as a roving, gold-hunting prospecter in Death Valley.

Maybe like this.


I guess I'll stick to my sedentary ways, out of the direct sunlight.

And the heat.

13 comments:

  1. i'm at about 6,000 ft, around the same as you. We've yet to hit 50 so far this year, though maybe later this week. I've never seen 100f here, though last summer we had a few days in the low 90's. Do you cool off at night like we do, with the altitude? We sometimes have a differential of 45 or so degrees between day and night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does cool off though I'm not sure of the differential.

      Delete
  2. Just add a couple of horns on that photo.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had stray snowflakes this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was reading your post as my grand daughter walked in and said "What is?" pointing to your picture. I said that's my friend Bruce. She laughed!
    Nice image there pal...looks like you and trump use the same tanning equipment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd say it would be time to stick a fork in you. You're done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Or we could just melt him down and enjoy the proceeds! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would say staying indoors is definitely called for! Your dermatologist would agree! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was in Phoenix on that 122 day -- it was weird trying to walk on asphalt downtown during lunch hour because your shoes would sink into the street. I was lucky I was at work because the Valley Bank Building (now Chase) kept you in near popsicle conditions. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember once when the weather got very hot, we tried to fry an egg on a sidewalk. Couldn't do it. But we DID fry one on the hood of a car!

      Delete
  9. 72˚F right now, snow tomorrow.

    Ever been here?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amargosa_Opera_House_and_Hotel

    ReplyDelete