Wednesday, October 2, 2019

A DOVE

I was asking SWMBO the other day if she'd seen many birds lately.

It had seemed to me that the crowds had thinned as cooler temperatures are here and perhaps the sissies among them had headed South for the winter.

But she said she still sees flocks come in during the late afternoon to get their last drinks.


(It's always 5 o'clock somewhere, right?)

Then a short time ago I was visited by this sleek creature just outside my window.


Just after that he was up on the bird bath, checking the water temperature with one foot.


And I remember as a young lad in North Dakota, the sparrows used to be present all year around so I don't think they'll be leaving to avoid what we Arizonans jokingly refer to as cold weather.

(It's 73 Fahrenheit as I'm typing this at nearly 5 in the afternoon.)

6 comments:

  1. My birds have flown the coop. Frankly, I'm glad to abandon birdbath detail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that picture of him testing the water. It's 94 here, and I haven't seen a bird. Maybe they flew north for the tail-end of the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would think doves would be pretty hardy. Do they normally migrate?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that shop of him dipping his toe in the water!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A pretty little one.

    We're at the point now where we probably won't see any more days at 20C again until the spring. Nights are down near the freezing level.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't been seeing many birds here lately at all and it is rather worrisome. They say the number of songbirds is really dropping.

    ReplyDelete