Monday, March 2, 2020

FUN-DAY MONDAY

SWMBO woke up about 1:30 this morning with a severe headache and pain in her left eye.

After several hours of wakefulness, then a few hours of sleep, she woke again with the pain still in her left eye, which was now red with blood.

When I looked at her I thought both eyes were red and she quickly made an emergency appointment at her ophthalmologist's office.

We both went and after about an hour and a half she finally saw a doctor who examined her thoroughly and concluded that there did not seem to be a problem with her eyes and that she appeared to have a sinus infection.

He suggested Sudafed to keep her pain under control until her regular visit with her primary care doctor on Wednesday.

So after a stop at a pharmacy and another for a fast food breakfast, we came home.

On the way over, by the way, she had commented on the clouds on the horizon.

I opined that they seemed tiny and unthreatening and informed her that the Weather Gods had not predicted any rain or snow.

By the time we were on the way home the clouds had thickened, bulked up and were touching the ground in several spots.

Over toward home the skies had turned dark blue and threatening.

We got home and a short time later this happened.


As I was looking out some white pellets began flying.

I said, "It's snowing!"

She said, "That's hail."

I said, "Oh, it's not either.  Look at those tiny snow pellets."

She said, "It's snain!"

That's a word for something in between snow and rain that she and her daughter have popularized.

I grumped back to my room and a short time later took this photo.


Whether it's snow or hail or snow pellets or snain, it covered the ground for a few moments before disappearing before the onslaught of our balmy mid-40's temperatures.

And so it goes, just another normal Monday around my parts.

What's the first of YOUR week look like?

12 comments:

  1. Snain is better than the snirt that made life miserable my freshman year at UND in Grand Forks, ND.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snirt, try playing kid hockey on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about the sinus problems and the "snain". I thought is was a little chilly down here but nothing like that happening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you had the eyes checked with the ophthalmologist and that they were all right. Your day was bad enough without serious eye problems!

    The last time I went as an emergency it turned out to be ocular shingles, which could have done permanent damage if it wasn't treated in time.

    Anyway, I hope tomorrow is better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had sinus infection, most recently at the beginning of the year. It was problematic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about SWMBO's sinus infection, but glad to hear that's "all" it was. Apparently, it has given her an "eye" for forecasting the weather!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Headaches that wake you in the night are no fun at all. I'm glad you took your wife to the ER and that they diagnosed it. Hope all goes well for her. We have had sunshine for days. We're in a dry spell here, which makes "fire season" this summer look inevitable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Snain? That is a combination that works.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sinus infections are the worst!

    That stuff you saw coming out of the sky is called Graupel -- yes, it's a real word. I wrote about it here:
    https://maefood.blogspot.com/2018/04/wednesday-word-of-day-graupel.html

    You asked what to do with Red Boat FIsh Sauce. Vietnamese fish sauce can be used in salad dressings, and other preparations in that cuisine. I think also in soup.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. She may ave been sensing the oncoming storm, by whatever name. Sinus cavities are also like a DEW line for oncoming barometric pressure changes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, I'm glad the pain wasn't anything more serious, but a sinus infection is no fun. I hope it passes quickly. We had hail here too! The weather gods are toying with us all! (When I lived in the northeast they would call this snow/sleet/rain/hail "wintry mix.")

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just came to say graupel, but Mae beat me to it.

    My sympathies to your dear one. Sounds miserable. All sinus infections are, but that sounds like a doozie.

    ReplyDelete