Tuesday, September 1, 2020

CHEESIE

One mistake after another.

I bought 16 ounces of cream cheese on a recent grocery order for some recipe or other that I had in mind to make.

Only to find upon checking the ingredient list that it was sour cream I needed, not cream cheese.

So . . . a cheesecake was in order, right?

It got made yesterday and it looks good, I think.



But when I opened the pack of graham crackers to make the crust I thought they smelled and tasted stale.

But I reasoned once they were crumbled and combined with the sugar and butter and salt and baked in the oven with the filling, that aroma and flavor would go away, wouldn't it?

After chilling the cake for some hours I finally had a small sliver last night.

I'm not so sure.

It seemed like those faults were still there, making my first cheesecake perhaps . . . inedible?

The BRD had recommended topping it with a raspberry coulis earlier.

I may have to try something like that.

I'd hate to have to just dump it.

11 comments:

  1. Sad, but better to dump it than to have a gross dump yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may want to freeze it, thaw it out the day before your next scheduled colonoscopy, eat it and save yourself the trouble of during a gallon of that terrible lemon-flavored stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if stale crackers could retain the taste after baking. Just eat the filling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jager's comment made me laugh out loud. I so appreciate a good laugh. I hope you don't eat it. Our bodies tell us when something smells and tastes stale or bad. It's our own very reliable warning system.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SWMBO had a slice for her lunch today and said the stale taste is very faint and she liked the filling. But, she said, if I don't like the staleness, just eat the filling. RedPat (above) has the same idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anything with cream cheese has to be good, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've had graham wafer crumbs go off, too. I now keep them in the freezer and they seem to last forever there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I doubt it would hurt you. It's not like you found a tub of mayonnaise in the back yard and decided to make some potato salad! My mom gave me some Kraft Macaroni and Cheese when the boys were younger. I made it, and they said it tasted funny. I got out the box, and it was about a year past the expiration date! Didn't hurt them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It would have to be pretty bad to be truly inedible. We can manage to choke down just about anything around here! LOL

    ReplyDelete