Wednesday, November 11, 2020

ThrowBack (way back) Thursday

 I doubt if many of you will remember these songs from the Golden Days of rock-n-roll radio.


It was, after all, 59 years ago, 1961, at KCJB Radio in Minot, North Dakota.

It wasn't the birthing ground of my broadcasting career.

I had actually started out at KEYJ in Jamestown, North Dakota, while attending college.

Or, some would say, as a 15 year old ham radio operator while still in high school.

But this was where legend set in and I became "Bruce on the Loose"!



Actually Bruce on the Loose only reigned until 10:00, then a half hour of news, weather, sports, and I became the Franklin McCormack* of northwestern North Dakota, playing romantic ballads and speaking in a dulcet tone until midnight.

Ah, those were the days.


*McCormack was the romantic radio voice of Chicago radio on WBBM and WGN. And I copied him.

9 comments:

  1. Hey, you're throwing me off my routine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't recognize the titles of the songs, but do see some familiar artists. Bruce on the Loose! That is great. Do you still have those dulcet tones?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't recognize any. That could be a fault of my glasses. I misread #21, "Roses Are Red," as "Noses Are Bad." That intrigued me, so I moved closer to the screen. Nevermind...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recognize ALL those hits. Listened to on a car radio or a small transistor radio. Eventually graduated to a clock radio. Pre-R&R days. I guess that makes us antiques!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! I recognize some of those songs -- "Palisades Park" and of course "Moon River" and "Baby Elephant Walk" (though not the Welk version). And I know a lot of the artists if not those specific recordings. It would be fun to listen to that Top 40 list now! I didn't realize you were a radio DJ playing music -- I thought you worked more on the news side.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Margaret - No, that voice is long gone, I'm afraid.

    Steve - That was my last job as a d.j. though I did fill in in later years when the station I was working for then added an FM station.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so cool! I recognize some of those songs. I had a very brief stint as a dj, one three hour show. It was so much fun to put a list of music together, but talking on-air was not my favorite thing. Love seeing that photo of you, Bruce on the Loose!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I could sing along to most of these songs! Showing my age. My Mum loved "I can't stop loving you" and played the record so many times over & over. That was great to see the old chart! I have a collection of charts from the mid 60s - the Beatles, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I recognize some of the surnames, anyway...

    ReplyDelete