Tuesday, June 29, 2021

RE-THINKING

 The birds that visit our back yard are a constant source of pleasure and ofttimes amusement.

For example, this sequence involving one of the doves.

I first spotted him on the wall contemplating a brief flight to the birdbath for a drink.




I grabbed a camera and was rewarded with this shot as he changed his mind, midflight.




Rather than landing, he aborted his mission and flew back to the wall.

I'm not sure what frightened him but a bit later I saw another dove marching around on the ground and the sight of a potential competitor may have been the reason.




At any rate, he sat on the wall for awhile before flying away.

Dare I ask if his mien depicted consternation or embarrassment?

12 comments:

  1. He's giving himself a mental pep talk for another try. I guess he didn't convince himself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photo of it in mid-flight. It's all about territory these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She rather looks like the Dowager Countess. The bird is affronted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi stranger! Remember me? LOL Those danged mourning doves. They are everywhere! I am more partial to the occasional little quail to is brave enough to hop on the fence...and the tiny little brown birds that aren't much bigger than hummingbirds. (and of course, the hummers themselves.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you haven't burned up down there. Actually that fellow up above is a Eurasian Collared-Dove; bigger than a Mourning Dove. The other day in about 15 minutes I saw a Robin, a Hummingbird, a couple of doves, House Finches, a butterfly and a Say's Phoebe. I told SWMBO we should rename the back yard the Garden of Eden! 😃

      Delete
  5. He's waiting for a lifeguard.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are so much fun to watch. I hope he got some water somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is an otherworldly photo you captured! Incredible!!

    ReplyDelete