Sunday, September 12, 2021

EL GORDO

 I apologize.

I have been negligent in reporting on the Taylor Family Garden.

So today I have some (not very artistic) photos of our gourd plant.




It has successfully climbed the arbor and is now putting out mammoth gourds day after day.

At least they're mammoth to me, who has never grown a gourd.

(By the way, you'll notice I have included the window from which I take photos of the birds at the birdbath.

You will kindly NOT notice how dirty the window is.)

I keep wondering why the gourds don't fall to the ground but SWMBO says the stem is thick and strong.












I included my mitt in this last picture not because I'm proud of it but to give you some idea of the size of these things.

In my mind this plant shall always be known as El Gordo!

13 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to plant gourds for use in crafts. Seeing them in your garden, encourages me to possibly do this next spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are you going to do with El Gordo's spawn?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are interestingly-shaped gourds. When will you harvest them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are called "Birdhouse Gourds" I planted them mostly for something quick growing on the arbor. Plan to leave them until the vine freezes, then pluck them, dry them and maybe paint them! We shall see.
    SWMBO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are some groovy gourds. The first thing I though of was a birdhouse. I bet there's a video somewhere showing you how to make them.

    Actually, birdhouses are the second thing I thought of. The first was BEANSTALK, because El Gordo looks like he reaches up into the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gourds are so strange-looking. I wonder what the evolutionary advantage is to that shape? (I assume there is one!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Vals "groovy gourds" comment. That's a perfect description. I can't wait to see them painted.

    ReplyDelete