Sunday, March 26, 2023

THE PAST AND A DATE PASSED

 I've been going through a huge collection of photographs in my family files and found an amazing one.

It was taken in 1904 - 119 years ago! - and it shows two members of my family.


Seated in the rocking chair, presumably wearing a christening gown, is my father, Franklin Berry Taylor, at the ripe old age of ten months.

The pouty boy sitting on the floor is his brother, Zenas Howland Taylor.

He seems to be pouting because as a five year old boy he wants to be exploring the land, looking for adventure, and not ordered to stay at home and look after his little brother.

They were living then in Cathay, North Dakota, where my grandfather had come to operate a bank.

But they moved to Stanley, where I was born, a short time later.

Cathay had a population of 20 as of the 2020 census.

Now the second part of this post.

I said recently that since Spring had finally come I wouldn't have to harp on it anymore.

And then a few days later I woke to find snow on the ground.

AGAIN!!!

So with help from Jocular Jean (and Mother Nature) I hereby offer the following apology.


Isn't that always the way?

14 comments:

  1. In seeing old photos we are reminded of a couple of things. A) how valuable images are to remember and preserve moments of history. B) How valuable is every moment we breathe! Enjoy the archive dive. tc cambria

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I may seriously be allergic to snow. Need to move somewhere where there isn't any.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snow is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful records.
    Thanks Mother Nature!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so compelling to see old photos of our parents when they were babies. Oh the years just roll on by.
    We're about to get another deluge of rain all next week. I am not happy about. Yeah, spring... when are you going finally show up and stay until summer?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder what happens to old pics when they are only on someone's phone? 100 years from now who could look at them. I have old pics of my grandparents when they first got married over 100 years ago and it is wonderful to look at them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am grateful to have hundreds of old family photos. The sad part is many are not identified and I no longer have anyone to ask about them.

      Delete
  7. That is an amazing pout! Snow, again? Poor you. It's chilly here but no white stuff at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have photos in the family tree album my mother made for me, of ancestors I never knew, most are small photos and probably wouldn't copy well into a blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great old photo! It's hard to imagine a town of only 20 people.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just heard on the news this morning that there might be snow once again in the high country next week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Poor boy does look pretty put out. Maybe he woke up and found snow on the ground all those years back as well. I saw a meme that said Mother Nature is off her meds.

    Cool picture though.

    ReplyDelete