Wednesday, November 29, 2023

KITCHEN EXPERIMENT

 I came home from a visit to our nearby Mexican market the other day with 5 huge Jalapeño Peppers.

The price for all five was only 86 cents!

When I expressed surprise the young lady at the checkout said she hadn't seen them at that low a price for quite a while.

For me it brought back memories of our first visit to the one-day-a-week street markets (tianguis) we visited in our first days living in Mexico and the low prices for everything by U.S.A. standards.

Anyway I was determined to make Jalapeño Poppers and yesterday I did.

Being careful to wear protective gloves, I split the peppers and scraped out the seeds and membrane to avoid the heat.

Then I filled each half with a mixture of cream cheese, cheddar cheese and garlic powder.

Each was topped with Panko (Japanese bread crumbs) mixed with a little melted butter and then baked in the oven.

They looked pretty good.




But surprisingly the flavor was kind of "meh" - only so-so.

I think I could have left some of the heat in the peppers.

But, accompanied by some (Costco) Spanakopita, a couple of Kalamata olives and some sliced apples, it made for a pretty good International dinner.


13 comments:

  1. I love how creative you are with food. You and SWMBO make such yummy looking dishes. Keep on cookin'! (NewRobin13)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peppers can vary so much, heatwise.
    Looks appetising 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a fan of peppers but would eat out the inside for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely-the Taylors eat well

    ReplyDelete
  5. No wonder they just tasted 'meh': You forgot the bacon! Have you ever tried soaking them in vinegar or salt water?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have read that par boil the peppers first, anyway. Cynthia Nixon is on Jeopardy, hope you are watching. Fellow Nodak Dee and Arizona wannabe lol, truly just want to be retired!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love seeing the things you cook. Wish I could taste them. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look yummy, though I know I could never eat them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I avoid these but maybe it is the seeds that I need to avoid.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love poppers. That’s a great idea for an appetizer for the Christmas meal. The spanakopita from Costco is really good ~ enough so that it’s not worth making it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The peppers would probably end in my death.

    ReplyDelete