Wednesday, April 24, 2024

AMAZING!

 It is that time of year again.

My birthday.

As I gaze into the future and wonder . . how long, how long can this go on . . I was brought up short by a card I received from a long-time friend.

The front of the card was promising.




But then I opened it and found this!




I might add, petulantly, that the sender of this card is a full EIGHT YEARS OLDER THAN ME!

Still, when SWMBO came by my post at the computer to wish me a happy birthday, I just stared at her and said "Amazing!"

What's amazing, she asked.

And I said "I am 84 years old today!"

In spite of a plethora of bad habits and conduct over the years, I continue to live on.

Last night as Judy was preparing for slumber I came in and, in my best imitation Paul McCartney voice, sang " . . will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm 84!"

But I ask you, "Is this paragon of pulchritude the face of an 84 year old man?"



My grandfather, if he were still with us, would have wished me a happy 85th birthday.

He maintained that one's first birthday was their birth day.

So a person's birthday was actually one year more than the number of years one had existed.

Well, whatever the number, I'll take it.

Now, what's for dinner?

20 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! Remember Youth is a gift and Age is a work of art! If you're still vertical it's a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Bruce! 84 sounds youngish to me. My dad lived until 92 and my mom will be 92 in May. I doubt that I'll make it that long, but maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. tc & Lana---we missed getting a card to you this year, so let this be our best wishes for ya. You still have cheer in your heart...so despite the calendar you are still young at heart and you make a joy of life. Happy Natal day old pal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday! Focus on the important stuff...like cake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! I hope there is a nice piece of cake in store for you this evening.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 84 sounds a lot younger than it did when I was in my 20s.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday and I hope you have a great day. I can tell you that 84 ain't bad. I'm getting close to the end of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday to you! I will resist my 13-year-old-self's urge to declare that you belong in a zoo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday and no you don't look 84 at all. I have younger neighbours who look like you do. I visited an elderly neighbour just this morning as it is her birthday this month and she will be 88 or maybe she already is, I don't remember the exact date of her birthday. She is beginning to look older now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday! I like being 84. It's a nice number and, like you, I never expected to live this long. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday..you are doing well..keep at it ❤️🎂🎉

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday, we are born so young, it takes decades for us to develop our real potential.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you had a terrific birthday! Best wishes for good health and fun adventures in your 85th year coming up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy happy birthday to you! You look GREAT! One way to think of birthdays is the number of trips around the sun. When we celebrated our first birthdays it is when we completed our first full trip around the sun. (NewRobin13)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Belated Birthday!! I hope your birthday dinner was fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy birthday a day late! I had no idea you were in your 80s, thought we were closer in age than that. Wishing you the very best this year. It has been a pleasure tobget to know you through your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So I guess technically it's the 83rd anniversary of your birth day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's the 84th anniversary. But it's my 85th birthday. At least that's how Grampa would figure it, with a twinkle in his eye.

      Delete