Friday, June 29, 2012

THE SUITED SUTTON (DOESN'T SUIT???)

The world of sports (or sport, to put a Continental swing on it) has fathered some pretty weird stories but this is one of the strangest ones I've ever heard.  The television broadcast voice of my beloved Arizona Diamondbacks, Daron Sutton, has been suspended for about a week now for an undetermined reason . . . characterized as "insubordination".  But comes word today that the bone of contention between the brass hats and the broadcaster is his custom of wearing a suit when he announces the games.


Now I remember a former boss I had when I worked for a RADIO station who insisted his employees wear suits and ties.  Once in the early 70's when neck scarves were in vogue, I came in to work wearing one.  The boss turned red as he told me to go home and get a necktie on.  I was expecting that and pulled one out of my pocket as I said, "right here, boss."

Sutton and his color man on the broadcasts, former baseball star Mark Grace, usually are attired the same way.


Now, I don't know about you but I think they look pretty sharp.

But the team brasshats (there's another way to describe them by just taking the br off the front of that word) reportedly feel that Sutton and Grace should wear polo shirts with the team logo on them.  Which they do some times.


If the story is to be believed, "some times" isn't good enough for the bosses.  So . . . why wasn't Grace suspended, too?  Like I said, this is a very strange story.

Meantime, here's a picture of Sutton with his dad, Hall of Fame pitcher Don Sutton.  Both wearing suits.



5 comments:

  1. Sounds odd and rather picky. Why not let the fans decide?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too weird to not be true. I like the suits.

    To answer your rodeo romance question, we did work the rodeo together after we were married but we actually met at the Grand Canyon. I guess it was love at first sight. Thanks for asking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose "He who has the gold rules" applies here, but it just sounds like an extreme case of micro-managing to me. I can see some kind of general dress code that says they must be dressed in a manner that portrays the organization in a positive light. Isn't that all that really counts?

    LIke I always say, "Pick your battles carefully."

    S

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this story - crazy. Are they kin to Marge Schott?

    ReplyDelete