Thursday, April 9, 2015

THROWBACK THURSDAY

We now have two candidates for President of the United States as the campaign season begins to heat up. It's 9 months until the first primary election and 19 months until the general election but I guess it's never too early to begin boring the electorate with speeches and campaign commercials.

It took me back, on this Throwback Thursday, to 1968. President Lyndon Johnson had announced that he would not run for another term. His Vice President, Hubert Humphrey of Minnesota, then announced that he would seek the Democratic nomination. He did visit Bismarck, North Dakota, where I was news director of a radio and television combine but the picture I have of interviewing him is so faded that I can't reproduce it here.

But I did find a photo of me interviewing Humphrey's son Hubert Horatio Humphrey III,who went by the nickname of Skip. (In Googling him I learned that he gave one of his children the family monicker, making him HHH the Fourth. He went by the nickname of Buck!)

Anyway, Skip and his attractive wife came to Bismarck campaigning for his father and I interviewed him in the North Dakota Governor's mansion.



The older Humphrey did win the Democratic nomination for President that year but, unfortunately, was defeated in the general election by Richard Nixon.

Skip went on to a fairly illustrious career in Minnesota politics, serving as the state's Attorney General for many years but lost his bid for governor to an independent candidate, the former professional wrestler Jesse Ventura.

I went on to other adventures.

13 comments:

  1. You have pretty interesting adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the country would have been better off and less divided today if Humphrey had won.

    I didn't vote for him...my bad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We in Minnesota love Ol' Hubert. There's a statue of him on the Blue Line (light rail) over by the police station, and I always give him a nod when I'm in the vicinity.

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the night you spotted the "Happy Warrior" exiting an elevator. It was late, at a convention city hotel, I think more than a few of the people present had been drinking. Anyway you walked with him quite a ways but I don't think it was an interview. Maybe remembering old times, or trying to remember them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that was another night and another time.

      Delete
  5. I voted for Humphrey back in '68. I didn't believe Nixon's claim that he had a secret plan for ending the war, and he didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was recently back from SE Asia, working for RFK in San Diego and getting lessons from Frank Mankiewicz.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have voted for Skip's wife. :)

    My concern now is that I don't think Hillary is electable, therefore the Dems are (so far) candidate-less. The Republicans just might win by default. All Hail President Ted. *GAG*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sent SWMBO (a tried and true Democrat) an article about that new poll on Hillary. She said "not to worry". It's still 19 months until the election.

      Delete
  8. And Ted Cruz doesn't have a chance in Hell. He's running for v.p. anyway, according to the punditry. I'd worry more about Marco Rubio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so hope you're right. About Cruz I mean. That guy is beyond disgusting.

      Delete