Thursday, March 17, 2016

THROWBACK THURSDAY

I tried a new (to me) recipe last night - Gjelina's Roasted Yams.

They were a wonderful accompaniment to a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.

I used sour cream instead of Greek yogurt. 

And if you're kind of eyeballing your measurements and the sauce is a bit tart, a teaspoon of honey added to it fixes it instantly.

(Thanks, SWMBO!)

Also, though the recipe doesn't say it, don't forget to oil the foil on the roasting pan.

Sorry, I didn't take a photo but there's one in the linked recipe above.

Now for the real business of the day.

Oh, I know.

It's St. Patrick's Day.

But I'll drink to get to that later.

The real business of the day is a picture for Throwback Thursday.


I can't identify all of this Merry Gang of Thieves but the fellow holding the handle of the wagon is the one who provided the photo recently, my lifelong buddy Jim.

He says he thinks the guy standing at the far left is me.

Tommy is behind Jim in the wagon and Jerome (Romey) is just above him, with his chin obscured.

Standing on the far right of the photo are Dorrance and his younger brother Boop (another Bruce).

I know you Gentle Readers don't know these childhood friends of mine but just think: that photo is somewhere around 70 years old!

Have a good St. Patrick's Day and remember, it's a day when everyone is Irish!

7 comments:

  1. You guys look like extras in an "Our Gang" short.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dink one for the road and one for the Irish.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same thought as Jäger. Where's Spanky, Alfalfa, Darla, and Buckwheat?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Classic photo! Looks like the ND version of the Leo Gorcey, Huntz Hall, Billy Halop gang-the Dead End Kids. You all look like hams.
    And you may have coined a kitchen term "...oil the foil..."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do see a similarity between you and the boy on the far left, particularly in the smile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Or Irish-ish. It's also Boston's Evacuation Day. When Washington persuaded the British Army to leave the city. With cannons.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd know Jim anywhere and at any time of life. Always a good looking kid and now handsome gentleman with the best of manners. We attended school together from 1st grade through high school.........longer period than a lot of marriages!! LOL
    Thanks for sharing this great memory! Burk.....

    ReplyDelete