Saturday, December 3, 2016

ROCKIN' ROBIN

Yesterday morning I was startled to see a robin come to my bird bath.


It seemed like the wrong time of year for him with temperatures in the low 40's.

I thought they usually were here in the Spring.

And then, all of a sudden, there was an entire flock of robins.

At one time, there must have been 7 or 8 in the tree just above the bird bath and they scrapped to see who could use it.

SWMBO said they must have just stopped in as they were migrating to Mexico for the winter.

This guy above first drank, then got into the water and sat looking around and then began a thorough bath.


His vigorous splashing had water flying everywhere.

At the same time the yard filled with what seemed like dozens of tiny birds pecking for seeds on the ground and ravaging the sage brush.

I didn't get photos of them but I think from my guide to Arizona birds that they were bushtits.

All in all it was a bird-lover's heaven for a little while.

9 comments:

  1. My 13 yo self is giggling at that name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard that huge flock of robins yesterday. They were in my front yard for awhile, but you have the better water supply. My fountains are shut down for the season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems a wrong time of year for robins as they are usually harbingers of spring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When my son was young, he called robins har-BRINGERS of spring. Which is probably fitting, seeing as how he must have inherited my reading skills. MY 13-year-old self read the birds' name as "bullshits."

    ReplyDelete
  5. They left here in late Sept, which is late for them. Let me know when they are on their way back. It's usually late April.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice of you to provide a nice bath for them on their way to Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Birds do love having a bath! We won't see them at all until sometime in later April.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you provide food for the bird visitors too? Great hotel for these travellers and what a joy for you to be able to see them so close up - I'm envious!

    ReplyDelete