Monday, December 26, 2016

THE MID-POINT

We have just passed what I think of as the mid-point of the holiday season.

It begins with Thanksgiving and a feast.

Leftovers and pre-Christmas sweets occupy the period of the next few weeks.


Here's one that surfaced at my house this year.

Bread pudding which starts with a Chocolate Chip Panettone from Trader Joe's.

SWMBO made two of them this year and only a portion of one of them left the house.

The remainder is being scarfed up by we two gluttons.


I think it's good either hot, re-warmed or cold while the master chef prefers hers to be always heated.

Topped off, of course, with a splash of Reddi-Whip.

But to get back to the season, it continues up to New Year's Eve and New Year's Day.

The baked ham we had yesterday looks like it will probably take us this short week.

We got a good deal on some lobster tails at the grocery store the other day so that will take care of our New Year's Eve dining.

The next day will be the beginning of coming down from the holiday food splurge, cleaning up whatever leftovers are still around.

It may appear to you as if our holiday season revolves around food.

Yes, it does.

We have always been, in that somewhat disparaged term today, "foodies".

It has widened our horizons and broadened our . . . well . . . I guess you can guess how this sentence ends.

So I'll head for the kitchen and another piece of that Egg Nog Bread a wonderful neighbor gifted to us.

And I'll rely on kitty-kitty to finish off this post.


11 comments:

  1. Can you still button your pants? Mine have shrunk a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an amazing Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce recipe that I can never make again. (Diabetes in the family, for a start.) If you would like a copy, I'd be happy to send it.

    Well, let's cut to the chase, http://onewordisenough.blogspot.com/2012/12/receipt.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember going to a Day After Christmas party where everyone was supposed to wear grunge (sweat pants) and bring a leftover from Christmas to pass. It was hilarious! Instigated by the host who could not wear anything BUT sweat pants since he had eaten his way through the holidays since early November. He actually wore RED sweat pants - no there's something you only see in the Midwest! Our meals stay the same all year. Our only splurge this year was a cinnamon roll from Safeway bakery for breakfast on Christmas, grilled. Our thrill is if we can make a weekend day a 2 meal day so we have time for other things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wore red sweat pants (although I call them lounging pajamas) all day Christmas day. Even went out and swept the snow off the sidewalk with them on! I got them from the BRD last Christmas. They have a reindeer pattern all over them. I also wear a red sort of sweater top and my Santa hat all day.

      Delete
    2. Oh, yes, and there are NO pictures.

      Delete
    3. Well reindeer pants are another thing entirely. Oh, that's right. You ARE from the Midwest.

      Delete
  4. Lana, who used to turn up her nose or chortle in disgust at the thought of bread pudding has had a change of heart. It started with a left over bottle of Fire Ball whiskey. Using some of her bread and rolls she began to experiment and took it to a couple of pot lucks. People loved it. She's worked the recipe and has made it several times. On the last go round she added some chocolate, left from her dipped orange peels, and drizzled a bit of caramel over the top-left from her "Abbott's" Caramel recipe. (http://abbottscandy.com/our-story/) Needless to say her attitude has changed about bread pudding. Ask SWMBO if she was ever at Abbotts in Hagerstown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BTW-She bought a new bottle of Fireball Whiskey and unless she's nipping on the side-we don't drink it. Whiskey should be whiskey and red hots and cinnamon left for other offerings.

      Delete
  5. I know what you mean about all the food. I feel like I have been on an eating frenzy. I have people over to my house for dinner tonight so I'll be cooking all day to day.

    ReplyDelete