Tuesday, October 10, 2017

OH GAWD

Another trip to the computer doctor today.

Side note: I asked him where he picked up his computer skills.

He said, "Oh, I've been doing it all my life."

I said, "Whenever someone tells me they're having computer problems I ask them if they have a 9-year-old in their neighborhood."

My computer doc said "I was that 9 year old.  Always taking stuff apart and then putting it back together."

I got the first part of that but must have missed the second.

Anyway, my machine went to sleep earlier today, then wouldn't wake up.

Computer doc put a new power supply in it but said he was worried about how hot the processor was running.

(He also said a lot of other stuff that I didn't have the faintest  hint of understanding but this time I just let him talk.)

And then I asked him the important question.

How much is this going to cost me?

I got off pretty easy but as I was leaving he, with a worried face, said "I'll pray for your computer."

Oh, great.

Now I'm really worried.

But, as the familiar saying goes, "this too shall pass."

I just hope my computer will outlive me.

There's another familiar expression:  "I'm too old for this shit!"

18 comments:

  1. I hope the patient makes a full recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cableone had us down for 2 days and I didn't know what to think! No computers! Was that liberating or absolute freak out? We survived, but it made me question how dependent most of us have become on the Internet and your Friday Funnies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must be getting old(er). I got through my two days down okay.

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear about it. Have you priced a used Mac? Some of them can quit affordable and of course Macs are pretty reliable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ummm....I've been keeping up with your computer woes over the years, and my Mac...dare I say it at the risk of jinxing myself?...has outlasted all yours. Just sayin' :)

      Delete
  4. Jan has 2 Apples uses them for work, one old HP for file storage. I have an old HP that every once in awhile sounds like an old Stearman with a rotary engine warming up. If I kill the power it runs silent again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank goodness some one else has problems - and I do mean that kindly, honestly guv! It saves me from throwing a hobnail boot [if I had one, or a pair] at my lap top. My innards just sink when I get a 'blue screen', or I need to switch off entirely and lose all my working files.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How old is this computer, anyway? I think they only last about five years with heavy, daily use. Maybe it's just time for a new one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's say I'm thinking of naming it Methusaleh.

      Delete
  7. lol, this is awesome! Thanks for stopping in the shop. That old Pentium doesn't have much more time left in this world. I'll be there to euthanize it when it is time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your seventh next computer from this one will outlive you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got a windows update on my laptop the other day & now the fan runs wide open when I'm on certain websites. So was it really an update, or a downdate?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope your ‘puter continues to survive. Mine hasn’t seemed quite the same since it’s last resurrection — seems sluggish, maybe feeling it’s age .... hm-m-m ..... sounds familiar .... I can identify with that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Computer problems can be very vexing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I doubt mine will outlast me. But that's ok. They keep getting cheaper and cheaper. Nowadays, I spring more for a large monitor for my old eyes, than the box (PC) itself. LOL If it wasn't for my football pool and needing to do Excel spreadsheets for that for half the year, I'd probably just get by with my iPhone and a tablet...

    ReplyDelete