Thursday, March 29, 2018

96 AND COUNTING

I have two different pronunciations of a familiar (and familial) term.

It's the word "aunt".

For some reason when I'm not talking about one of my family members, I pronounce it "Ahnt".

But curiously, for those in my family the word is pronounced "Ant".

My mother's sister, for instance, was always known as Anty Ann.

Her name was actually Anna but modernity shortened it to Ann.

This is a long way around introducing you to my Aunt Lil, short for Lillian.

She lives in Billings, Montana, with her daughter, my musical cousin Bonnie.

And recently she received a couple of honors, being declared Birthday Queen at the Southside Senior Center and then Queen at the 4th Avenue Senior Community Center.


Gentle Readers, my Aunt Lil is a nonagenarian, which I'm sure you all know is a person in their 90's.

Ladies and Gentlemen, this is what 96 looks like!


Pretty damned good, if you ask me.

11 comments:

  1. My Mom's favorite Aunt (named Ann) lived to 99. She lived in her house alone until she was 96 and moved to assisted living. Ann hated it. My mom asked her the secret to such a long healthy life. Aunt Ann said, "Don't live to be 97."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to your Aunt Lil! She looks like a fun and stylish gal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the difference in pronunciation is western vs eastern, mainly. As to looking that good at age 96, I suspect I'll be some carbon atoms drifting about, you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm goin' for the century mark, Mike. C'mon along, join me.

      Delete
  4. I hope to look that good at 96! My dad will be turning 97 in a couple of months!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking good indeed! Isn't 'ahnt' a Brit pronunciation, and 'ant' American? I'm surprised you still say the former, but what the heck? I'd know what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We should all be so fortunate to look so good at 96! I've always pronounced aunt "ant," like the insect. It's an interesting word in that there are so many varying ways to say it. Some say "ahnt," and some say "unt."

    ReplyDelete