Sunday, September 16, 2018

AN OLD FAVORITE

SWMBO and I had business in Prescott today and afterwards we went to brunch at our favorite restaurant.


I can't go into this place without having at least one of something the BRD introduced us to many years ago.


Their legendary Bloody Mary.

It's the best I've ever had anywhere.

Today I had a cup of gumbo that I'd never tried before our friend Tom introduced us to it last May when he and Lana were visiting us.


With andouille sausage and chicken and okra and other things, it was as good today as it was back then.

Judy had Allen's Favorite - poached eggs on English muffins with Canadian bacon topped with Hollandaise sauce and crumbled crisp bacon and green onions.

I then followed my gumbo with a particular favorite that is always listed as a special - Blackened Catfish with a remoulade sauce.


(Sorry about the fuzzy picture - it may have been that drink I had.)

It was delicious, as always, and after our meal I was chatting with the owner and she said she goes through about 30 pounds of catfish a week.

Incidentally another gentlemen was talking with her when I barged in.

He said he'd been driving by the cafe almost every day for 29 years and hadn't stopped in until today.  

He said he expected a country-style restaurant and was planning on ordering biscuits and gravy until he saw the gourmet menu.

Instead he had Crab Cakes Benedict and absolutely loved them.

Finally we both went on our way but not before assuring the boss lady that we'd be back.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, dear, I'm like that man that drove past for 29 years and never stopped! Well now I've been told it's not what I assumed either, so I'll have to give it a try. You two eat well! That was a lot of food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it possible to make a bad bloody Mary?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Blackened Catfish looks tasty. Even the Bloody Mary looks tasty! I saw a boxed set on the counter at the convenience store today, with a bottle of vodka and a bottle of Bloody Mary mix. I'm guessing that yours was NOT made with a mix, but the real ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a great place! I love a little mom & pop restaurant, particularly when it has gourmet tendencies! (And bloody marys!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judy's meal sounds like the sort I'd go for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! That sounds like my kind of restaurant and so nice to find such independent eateries in a country that has witnessed the gluttonous rise of fast food giants like Pizza Hut, Wendy's and McDonalds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh boy, you are making me very hungry.

    ReplyDelete