Sunday, December 1, 2019

AGING

An old, and long-time, friend of mine sent me a picture of his growling self the other day.

I replied jocularly, "Where's that Easy Ed smile I used to be used to from you?"

So he sent me one of him with a goofy grin on his kisser.

(Ed, you can rest easy now - I'm not going to post it!)

A little later I was trying to figure out how to start a new picture file for this new month of December and I reasoned that the easiest way was to snap a picture of something and upload it to the computer.

The "magic box" takes care of the rest, opens a new file and names it for the current month.

So what photo do you think I took?

Yup, a selfie.

Now, my wife, SWMBO of fame, would never willingly have a current picture of herself put out into cyberspace.

But me?

I have no shame.


So there it is - the Catalyst nearing the downslide to 80 years of age.

(That occurs next April 24th, if I make it.)

I sent the photo to Ed and commented that smiling is not one of my big traits these days.

And I noted that while I have more hair than he does, he is older than me.

And my hairline is receding.

And receding.

And receding.

After reading what I've just written, I don't feel so well.

I think I need to lie down for awhile.

12 comments:

  1. Well, you certainly have bright eyes!
    Isn't 80 the new 60?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll reach 80 before you do, by the end of the year. Hurray for octogenarians!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aging it tough, but considering the alternative, I'll take it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That look just screams "Go to the office young man!"

    I hate flashbacks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you were a patient, I'd guess you at 60.

    The years leave their mark, scars to show, proof of life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, but you still have that lurking mischievous madness reflected in your not so baby blues, that I first saw back in 1969.
    I don't recall you ever smiling much anyway, unless it was a gleeful note about some uppity, uppity getting his comeuppance.
    And as for your line about "if I make it"-you better dude, we are planning on coming east to make sure you still know how to party!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's an interesting thing, realizing that we are the older generation now. I think we're doing pretty well in our aging bodies. May it continue to be so.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have bags under my eyes now that are big enough to pack for a weekend trip. I've got 6 months to 75. Other than my great grandfather (7 wives and 11 kids) I'm the oldest male ever in my family on both sides. I have no idea if I should feel good about that or not. I guess we should just keep on keeping on...

    ReplyDelete
  9. As one whose hairline has receded completely, I feel no sympathy. :) Getting to 80 (even almost) is an accomplishment to be proud of!

    ReplyDelete
  10. If Stephen King saw that photograph he might be inspired to write a scary new novel..."The Catalyst" with the chilling strapline "He had obeyed her for too long - now it was his time."

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've still got it, YP. We both laughed out loud at that one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I rarely take photos of myself. Though I made an exception yesterday at an art gallery.

    ReplyDelete