Monday, December 2, 2019

KITCHEN ADVENTURES


The second half of a loaf of no-knead bread, made start to finish yesterday in about two hours.

This one was a success.

On the other hand . . .

As Judy was working in a frigid garage this morning getting her sale organized for the weekend, I was rampaging through the pantry looking for ingredients for a pot of soup.

I originally had a hearty potato soup in mind but didn't find the proper ingredients.

Then I was examining a quart of miso broth we've had forever.

Then as I was fondling a package of beans for 15-bean soup, SWMBO came in and began offering instructions.

After boiling and draining the beans and throwing them in the slow cooker with a chopped up onion and some celery and some pieces left over from a ham awhile back I topped them all with water.

Too much water, according to Judy.


There are beans down there, underneath all that floating onion and celery and ham.

They'll cook, as Judy put it, "forever" and maybe eventually, some day, we'll have bean soup.

So it goes.

I try.

God knows, I try.

9 comments:

  1. Are you kidding, Jager? It's already got way too much water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just pour it in a pan to simmer, with the lid cracked open, and it will only take half of forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Val, thank you. SWMBO and I have already discussed a plan to do just about that tomorrow. Reduction!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could you extract some ingredients with the excess water and put it through a strainer to toss the extra water and save the good stuff?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love making no-knead bread. It's been a while since I've done and now I'm inspired. Thank you for that. About the soup... yes, reduction should do it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's always good to try something new. I'm sure this turned out just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joe, Judy took care of that today. She poured everything into a big pot on the stove and simmered it with the lid cocked slightly until the liquid reduced.

    ReplyDelete