Wednesday, January 8, 2020

THROWBACK THURSDAY (ON WEDNESDAY)


Back in the day when I was skinny, had dark hair, a reddish beard.

Sometime in the late 1980's in Guadalajara, Mexico.

Gadfrey!

That's over 30 years ago!

Check out that computer and that monitor with green letters on a black screen.

Would it have been a Commodore 64?

I can't remember.

But I remember that cat.

Our beloved Chulapay (Mexican slang for Cutie Pie).

She loved the warmth from that lamp.

I was, as usual, into a vodka and water it appears.  

What you can't see is my ashtray and pack of cigarettes.

Ah, those were the days.

I had lunch yesterday at the Pie Place with a couple of colleagues from my days in Phoenix television news.

After hearing many of the tales of our rollicking times, I said then and I say now as I look at the photo above, "How in hell did we survive to our present old age?"

It's a mystery.

15 comments:

  1. A great throwback moment. How did we survive? I have no idea, and yet here we are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, sweet youth, relatively speaking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, vodka and cigarettes, I almost remember those days...I'm told they were good times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep reminding yourself: Keith Richards is still alive.......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thirty years ago was another country.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zhoen, thirty years ago I was *literally* in another country!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm guessing there was also a dot-matrix printer involved...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who would have believed it? I don't feel 80 but I'm careful not to look in the mirror much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, I've asked that same question many times. It really is amazing. I love the photo with that old (you might say vintage) computer. I remember that blinking curser very clearly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yes, I remember those black-and-green computer screens. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What I noticed most was the teak desk. We married in 1971 and for the next ten years bought all teak furniture from the Scandinavian furniture shops in Chicago. Still have it all. I swear some handles on ours are the same as yours in the photo. We still love it all too!
    I understand it's quite in demand today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha! I WISH it was teak but that was just some simple cheap-put-it-all-together-yourself furniture. Thanks for your comment though.

    ReplyDelete