Wednesday, January 1, 2020

YUP, IT'S JANUARY FIRST . . . AGAIN


This beginning of a new year was much better than one I remember from many years ago.

On that one, heading home from a couple of parties we shouldn't have gone to I was involved in a wreck in which both cars were totaled and both drivers got DUI tickets.

Fortunately (and amazingly) no injuries in either car.

But last night.

Let me show you how two old people celebrate New Year's Eve.

We shared a bottle of prosecco (nice!) and nibbled on sausage and cheese and crackers that had been gifted to us for Christmas.

Since neither of us can tolerate the faux jollity of the tv hosts at Times Square I surfed the channels until I landed on a Rolling Stones concert.

I learned this morning it was a free gig in Havana, Cuba, in 2016 that drew over a million people to watch the geezers rock out.

We only saw about the last half hour but the Stones are still the greatest rock and roll band and watching the then 72 year old Mick Jagger run from one side of the stage to another and be in near constant motion was amazing.

Once that was over I found a tribute program to old MGM movies and the stars in them.

Seeing old clips of Howard Keel, Kathryn Grayson, Mario Lanza, Gene Kelly, Donald O'Connor, Judy Garland, Debbie Reynolds, Fred Astaire, Esther Williams, Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby and many more was just what we needed.

I was in bed asleep shortly after 9 p.m.

Judy stayed awake just long enough to watch the ball come down in New York City and then to sleep.

So that's how two geezers "celebrate" New Year's Eve.

But even with the aches and pains of all the years on us, we felt a lot better this morning than we used to with hangover mornings.

Speaking of new mornings, I was looking back in my blog to see if I could find something to post today.

What struck me the most was how many friends of those days gone by who used to comment have disappeared.

Some have died, some have moved on to other venues, some have just given up the game altogether.

I miss them all.




Incidentally, Al Stewart was born in Glasgow, Scotland, 74+ years ago and he's still performing.

16 comments:

  1. Great night for you two! Your t.v. is so huge you must have felt like you had front row seats for Mick! As a kid I banged pot lids in the snow at midnight with my next door neighbor (much to the dismay of my mother whose Revereware I dinged). One year we set off a stash of fireworks (also in the snow) much to the delight of the neighbors, but not to the passing police car . . . It was all quiet on the Western front here last night for the Geezer Brigade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year, Bruce. I too was asleep before 10.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Decade and Happy New Year. In Croatian - Sretna Nova Godina.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For us, 2020 arrived in the silence of a dripping wet fog. We slept through it all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Time Passages" was especially timely (sorry, I couldn't resist). The last train home tonight will come soon enough. Let's enjoy life while we can.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen that film of the Stones concert and it was incredible! I miss all of my old blog friends who are not posting anymore too so we must cherish the ones we still have. Looking for ward to many more Friday Funnies in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You may note I sent your Happy New Year emails quite early, assuming you were no longer swinging on chandeliers and setting your beard on fire.
    It sounds as though you had a fine New Years eve.
    We stayed in. I made my annual DIRTY RICE-Prudhomme style. We had a nice Pinot and watched a movie.
    We tuned in to CNN just before the ball drop and listened to the music through It's a beautiful world and then went back to Netflix.
    The Stones are still killer! I saw that Cuban concert and agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I find I can't post comments on a lot of blogs, the google log in no longer works or they have some comment preference that blocks me. Dunno. The non-commercial blogistan is fraying.

    We were asleep by 10PM, late for me. We've slept through just about every New Year midnight since I've been working the morning shift. Sometimes we wake up when we hear fireworks enough to say "...ppeen'yer."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mick has reptilian blood from the planet Xranzifan. He is actually only 27 years old in Xranzifan years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that song! No partying here. Not even a special snack. I fell asleep in my OPC (Old People Chair) at 11:30.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Al Stewart! Great post. When I go back to the beginning of my blog, I see the same thing. It's almost like I have a whole new set of followers from the ones at the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We celebrate New Year's Eve on east coast time. When that ball drops in NYC, we're done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent post, Bruce. I wish us all a happy new year. We need one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The movie you were watching was "That's Entertainment Pt. 2" I was watching it too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Our New Year's was a lot like yours, minus the Stones.

    I had no idea Al Stewart is still performing! I haven't thought of him in ages, although I do have "Time Passages" and "Year of the Cat" on my iTunes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My New Year's Eve was spent quietly. I was already under the weather.

    ReplyDelete