Saturday, February 1, 2020

BACK TO BADGES

I spent three years covering the news for a radio station (WIBC) in Indianapolis, Indiana.


I used to say "we don't press our news", but never mind that.

The biggest event in Indianapolis is the annual 500 mile auto race and I covered stories at and around the track, which got me these bits of memorabilia.




The entire month of May is devoted to the race so we Running Dogs of the Media got to know and hang around (drink) with people like Mario Andretti, Al and Bobby Unser, A.J. Foyt and many others.

But my favorite story of the Indy 500 was the year I stayed up all night before race day, interviewing people outside the track.

I was interviewing a ticket scalper at one point and another guy came by and tried to sell his tickets to the scalper at an inflated price.

A scalper trying to scalp a scalper!

And that's Indy.

13 comments:

  1. I haven't heard those driver names in a while! Brought me right back to ABC Sunday Sports.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must have a zillion stories from your news days, I'd like to read a few.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Steve, I hadn't heard those names in ages. Must have been a fun time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those names are so familiar. Ah, history.

    What a time you must have had!

    Ford vs. Ferrari -- have you seen it yet?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to watch all of the races on TV but not so much anymore. Love your buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. EXCUSE ME. You didn't mention the great Yugoslav driver, Bill Vukovich.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the new header! Monument Valley?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Phil, I don't think I ever met any of the 3 members of the racing Vukovich family.

    LL, I assume so. Just pulled it at random from the Interwebs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've got a few of those as well...after 42 years of covering the Indy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photo as your header. Did you take it or is it from the internet?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jim, it's a stock photo from the Internet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Racing and Indianapolis go hand in hand.

    ReplyDelete