Sunday, February 2, 2020

THE LAST OF THE BADGES AND PINS

I think I've beaten this subject into the ground but I'm going to bore you with two final pins from my collection.


Now I am a fan of the Rolling Stones but I have never seen them perform in a live concert, not the least of which was in England.

So I have no idea how I came by this pin but there it is.

And finally here is a button that commemorates my moment of fame when I appeared on the front page of USA Today.


At least it appears that way.

Gannett came to Phoenix and threw a big party when USA Today made it's debut in Arizona.

They had a photographer with a set where the attendees could pose, he would photograph them with the mock newspaper page set and later on would hand them buttons like the one above.

I wasn't invited to the party but I crashed it and had my photo taken.

So I wasn't as much of a big shot as the button would seem to portray.

I used to have quite a collection of political buttons, including funny ones from the 70's that said "Nixon's The One" around the time of his impeachment inquiry.

I had one from the 1964 campaign that had a small container with some yellow liquid in it and the caption "Goldwater".

I even had an old one from the 30's or 40's for Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

I sent them all to an historical museum in North Dakota.

I may find some more badges around the house some day but I think this is about it.

Thanks for viewing.

We now resume our normal programming.

12 comments:

  1. You looked like you could crash parties back then. Fit right in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the USA Today pin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a Humphrey button, a McCarthy button, a Mickey Mantle with flag and bat button and a Moon Landing button from a ticker tape parade. None in very good condition.

    My collection really needs a Catalyst on the front page button.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never too late for a Stones concert, the rumor is they are planning another tour. Charlie Watts is about your age if he can make it, so can you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Much warmer header photo. That cold lake was giving me chills.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopefully you get a chance to see the Stones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen the Stones either but have seen the Beatles 3 times. I'd like to see the Stones before we are all done. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, you didn't get your picture on the cover of the Rolling Stone...but pretty close!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's cool that you sent them to a museum. Those Coolidge and Harding (I think?) pins you posted about a week ago are probably museum-worthy too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember that Goldwater pin. I didn't have one but I remember seeing them. I love the USA Today pin.

    ReplyDelete