Thursday, October 8, 2020

HYDRATE

 For years now, I've been taking a drug called Warfarin, which is a blood thinner.

That requires me to have a blood sample taken every four weeks.

It used to be simple, just a quick finger stick and a drop of blood taken.

But then the labs here quit using the finger stick and instead insist on sticking a needle into your arm and drawing out a larger quantity of blood.

So today, I went to have my monthly blood draw and here's what happened.


My bandaged left arm . . Old Faithful, as I call it.

Except today while the nurse hit the vein right off, the blood didn't come in a quantity that she needed.

So, the right arm got pierced, as well.


That one got enough blood to satisfy the lab personnel.

I've been having these tests done for so long the piercing actually doesn't bother me all that much.

But if you fear needles let me advise you, as the nurses do me, drink lots of water the day before your blood test.

Actually we're supposed to drink lots of water every day.

So do it.

And wear your mask.

That's today's medical lesson from Doctor Catalyst.

8 comments:

  1. Oh, man. NOTHING spooks me out more than a blood draw. I make them put me in the room with a bed at the end of the hall and have it done lying done. Twice a year is two times more than I want to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sometimes get a bruising reaction when I donate blood. Of course, I haven't donated since the Covid restrictions started.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm okay with the blood drawing, have had this happen many times. Warfarin? after my youngest was born by c-section, a blood clot developed and I was off my feet for 6 weeks. I was on warfarin as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I assume you're taking the warfarin for some heart-related issue, like a-fib, valve, etc. You might ask your doc about Eliquis, it has some advantages over warfarin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess the water you drink prefers to go to the good arm? It seems like both arms should both flow about the same, unless something happened when sticking the low-flow arm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeesh. It seems counterproductive to take a quantity of blood from someone on blood thinners! Wonder why the finger-prick is no longer suitable?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, not a good nurse/phlebotomist. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete