Monday, January 11, 2021

PEACE AND QUIET

 Don't we all wish for that?

Peace and quiet?

That's how it is around my house today.

I turned the television off after a quick check of the news from Washington so it's quiet once again.

The Visiting Renta-Cat has had his snack and some catnip and is now in his preferred position on the couch.


Out in the back yard, a Phoebe has been making repeated visits to the bird bath for drinks.


I'll have to go out and see if the ice has melted yet.

My thoughts go far back in the past, to when I was a young lad listening on the radio to the adventures of a couple who lived at 79 Wistful Vista.

They were known to their audience as Fibber McGee and Molly.


In real life they were a married couple - Jim and Marion Jordan.

Their popular radio program ran from 1935 to 1959 and it's final cancellation was considered by many to be the end of the Golden Age of radio.

I remember listening all through my childhood.

It was a good time, a peaceful time.

12 comments:

  1. Yes, everyone listened for the closet to be opened. I hope they are not related to Jim Jordan, the current politician.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This brought back memories. When I was little between 4 & 6 years old, my grandfather lived in the same house with us. He had the upstairs and we had the ground floor. I used to go up to his room and listen to Gunsmoke with him. I also remember listening to Our Miss Books but I think that was downstairs. My grandfather used to sit in his chair next to the bookcase and in front of a console radio, smoking his pipe and listening to the radio.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm all about peace and quiet. It's why I don't have cable. I like hearing my news on the car radio and not seeing it. My husband has The New York Times online, so of course I got an eyeful of The Breach. It was one of those events that you don't want to see, but you can't look away. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you have a rent-a-cat :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to have some peace and quiet. We don't have cable TV, so we usually have some mellow music while we read the news online. Love seeing your rent-a-cat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I rarely have the TV or any music on, although I think I should sometimes. Cats LOVE to sleep and it's relaxing just to watch them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also remember Fibber Magee and Molly. It was an excellent show and we never missed it. Thanks for the memory.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It’s a peaceful time here, too. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember Fibber McGee and Molly well -- the opening of that closet; many more radio programs from those days.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 'DON'T OPEN THAT CLOSET!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

    I loved that show. Disclaimer: it ran on our local radio station as a nostalgia thing when I was probably about 12 or so. We loved it. They also featured The Lone Ranger and The Shadow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My mom used to talk about Fibber McGee and Molly, but I don't think I've ever heard them. I bet they're on YouTube!

    ReplyDelete