Thursday, March 4, 2021

A BEGINNER'S LESSON

 Once again I turn the reins over to my spouse, Judy, aka She Who Must Be Obeyed (SWMBO).


πŸ’‘ πŸ’‘ πŸ’‘ πŸ’‘ πŸ’‘ πŸ’‘


Having recently been ordered by a doctor to go to a gluten-free diet, I needed a new kind of cookie.

I searched the Internet for options and landed on a Martha Stewart recipe for "Oatmeal Cookies".

First you use the blender to pulverize some rolled oats to make oat flour.

Done.

Then you follow very ordinary directions for the rest of the recipe.

"Place two-Tablespoon mounds onto parchment-lined baking sheets."

Now if you think Martha is a kitchen goddess you better not read any further.

In the oven the "mounds" flattened and spread until some of the cookies joined each other on the sheet pan.

They looked like brown lace when finished.

Not at all like Martha's neat little bundles.

After handling these I decided they needed something to hold them together.

"Tomorrow is another day."

So the remaining dough went into the fridge for a rest --- for the baker!

The next morning I massaged 3 Tablespoons of gluten-free flour into the dough, placed the "mounds" onto the pan --- and baked them.

Eureka!

They are still "mounds"!



(Today's cookies on the left, yesterday's on the right)

In the "Cook's Notes" at the bottom of the recipe, Martha says ". . . these cookies are bound to be requested again and again."

I don't think so!

10 comments:

  1. The Girl Scouts have a gluten free cookie this year that isn't half bad. Note I didn't say "really good", but when you are looking for a gluten free baked goodie, it will do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks aren't everything ... how did they taste?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They weren't bad though the cranberries were very chewy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never had any luck with Martha recipes! I think I don't have the knack to do things like she does.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's how they taste that counts. And if they're a little less than preferred, well, that's what dunking them in a glass of milk is for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yesterdays look better to me. Would be good with raisins or craisins.
    Like a musician takes a song and makes it his own a bker experiments with a recipe until it is even better. From your blog I suspect SWMBO will improve on Martha's cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you put the dough in the fridge for at least an hour before parceling out and baking, they won't spread out near as much. That's an old cowgirl trick.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love oatmeal cookies, but these don't look that appetizing. The later version, perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I juss found-out:
    your name is the
    catalyst - you're
    how old compared
    to me?? TouchΓ©, pops.
    GBY

    ReplyDelete