Wednesday, March 17, 2021

TEMPORARY

 I guess you know why my blog has suddenly changed color today.

It's March 17th.

Happy St. Patrick's Day.

Though St. Patrick wasn't ever canonized by the Catholic Church, and he wasn't Irish, and he didn't bring Christianity to Ireland, and he didn't drive the snakes out of Ireland, and the day celebrating him in Ireland was a holy day marked with fasting and religious observances, and St. Patrick's Day as we know it with parades and green beer and drunkeness and corned beef and cabbage was actually invented in the United States by Irish immigrants;

In spite of all that, it's not a bad day for a pint of stout.

Sláinte!


16 comments:

  1. I sent my daughter-in-law a recipe for St. Pat's cupcakes that have Guinness in the cake and Bailey's Irish Cream in the frosting. She baked them and texted me a photo. Said the frosting was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that I'm not in the classroom, I can enjoy this holiday. (or just let it pass) It was third in line for teaching misery with only Halloween and Valentine's Day ahead of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The students who wanted to pinch other students were LOTS of fun. Ugh.

      Delete
  3. And a Happy St Patrick's Day to You! I'll be having a pint this evening!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since SWMBO II won't let me cook cabbage in the house, we're having Shepherd's Pie, I'll be having a few fooking pints of Guinness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had my one of Black Butte Porter. Close enough.

      Delete
  5. I didn't know any of the history of this holiday, so thank you so much that. Happy St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We Americans are such enterprising people. We created our own St. Patrick's day and we created our own Cinco de Mayo. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute idea to change screen color. Wish I'd thought of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Next you'll tell me that George Washington did not chop down the cherry tree, and that Lincoln told many lies!

    ReplyDelete