Thursday, October 14, 2021

AGING

 A cousin of mine is marking her 79th birthday today in faraway Montana.

In her defense, I might note that she is just about two and a half years younger than I am.

I know, I know.

Because of my sprightly manner on this silly blog, you thought I was much, much younger, didn't you?

Hello?

Is anyone there?

You are?

And you didn't?

All of this prattle is an introduction to telling you that I sent my *young* cousin a happy birthday email today and since we haven't seen each other in quite awhile I snapped a selfie and sent it along.




As I told the recipient, I just thought you'd enjoy seeing how much damage the years have done to me and how much better you look than I do.

As proof of that, I'll show you Gentle Readers how I looked a mere 55 or so years ago when I was a young and aspiring television anchorman.




In seersucker, no less.

Apparently half a century years of dominant bosses and living with SWMBO at least pinned those ears back.

And no, I was not spawned by hobbits.

20 comments:

  1. Yea, I noticed the ears, but figured A) you had cosmetic surgery, B) just sleeping on them all those years brought the back, C) in the top picture you used an adhesive agent of some sort.
    What is most fascinating is that hair swoop in the earlier photo. Do you think you can still do that? Was that Brylcreem? Vitalis? Royal Crown pomade?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet lineless baby face of your youth! We had no character lines back then!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I rode on a plane from Boston to NY, my seatmate was a network TV guy, we were talking, North Dakota came up and he mentioned he'd thought about hiring a young TV anchor from there, but the guys ears looked like Dumbo's...small world huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same time I was coming up there was a guy my same age in South Dakota getting started in broadcasting. He went from Sioux City to Omaha to Atlanta to Los Angeles to New York. Yep, Tom Brokaw did a little better in the biz than I did.

      Delete
  4. I look into my glass,
    And view my wasting skin,
    And say, ‘Would God it came to pass
    My heart had shrunk as thin!’

    For then I, undistrest
    By hearts grown cold to me,
    Could lonely wait my endless rest
    With equanimity..."
    Courtesy T. Hardy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good grief. Maybe you should read some Tom Robbins and laugh a little.

      Delete
    2. So another attempt at humor goes awry....sorry Bruce.

      Delete
  5. I always appreciate when you post photos of yourself. Makes me wish I had the courage to do such a thing. Maybe I'll get brave some day. Ha! Keeping false hope alive. I think you look great in both photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your humorous take on aging, I am close to your age.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My first thought was "Somebody stole your ears!" It's a wonder you didn't hear them...

    If you're anything like me (something I really don't wish on anyone), you think of yourself as that early photo, until you stand up and take a few steps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Except I have to stand for awhile before I risk those few steps.

      Delete
  8. I peaked at 13, I only wish I had some photos of those handsome days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quite the stylish suit! At least you were young and handsome. I was young and homely, and now I'm middle-aged and homely. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you look good! In both photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete