Thursday, August 11, 2022

LIFE AROUND HERE

 Not much to report from here.

We're still looking to move next month to new digs.

As probably you all know, that's an agonizing ordeal. And it seems to get bigger as one gets older.

But if move we must, then move we shall.

Meantime SWMBO'S straggly Morning Glory plant finally popped a bloom today.




It's up at the top of the arbor but at last and at least she got one bloom out of the stubborn plant.

The Honeysuckle plants are putting out multiple blooms though.




We think they're enjoying the cooler weather and the monsoon moisture we've been getting nearly every day.




But the rains can bring some bad things too.

The other day I was sitting in the living room watching television and listening to the rumble of thunder outside when a tremendous CRACK of thunder accompanied simultaneously a brilliant white flash of light outside the front window.

I knew it had struck near us but it wasn't until a couple of days later when I discovered how near it was.




My across-the-street neighbor, where our visiting cat Matty lives, told me once he had planted a tree in his front yard and it had grown and grown and grown until it dwarfed his house.

The lightning bolt had struck that tree and split the top of it and thrown splintered branches everywhere.








I haven't spoken to him yet but I imagine that huge tree will have to be completely taken down.

I just know that's the closest I ever want to be to a lightning strike.

In brighter news, I went to the Taylor Family Bakery today and made a favorite of mine: Double Chocolate Banana Bread.




It's a recipe from Deb at the Smitten Kitchen.

I was experimenting a bit, baking it in our Toaster Oven instead of the big one.

I found it could have been baked a bit longer but the taste, as confirmed by SWMBO (who likes her chocolate!), was exquisite.

14 comments:

  1. Wow!

    I've been close to a strike. Not something I'd ever want to repeat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once heard a lighting bolt strike a phone line just outside my window and it was a spectacular sound and light show. The cake looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lightening not so good. That Double Chocolate, super good. Both of you be mindful of your backs as you ready for the move.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is WAY too close for comfort. The thought of moving (even someone else) is overwhelming. Underbaked is much better than overbaked, in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was sleeping out (7th grade) in a pal's backyard, lightening struck his mom's metal clothes line. I finished the night in my own bed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My honeysuckle is sulking, hasn't out out a single bloom since the first cluster after planting three years ago. The lightning was a bit too close to home. Perhaps the whole tree doesn't need to come down though, just the broken bits trimmed off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not going to tell you what the double chocolate brownie bread looks like! By the way, in my shandy yesterday I had Timothy Taylor's "Landlord" bitter. Please thank your nephew.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you moving far? Best of luck with that.
    Sad to lose a tree..but glad no-one was nearby.

    I was standing in a cycle shop in Cardiff when lightning hit the traffic lights just up the hill then travelled down the road past the shop...and the plate glass window flexed and bowed but didn't break...and the bolt struck the ball on top of the church at the bottom of the hill. The two foot diameter stone ball then fell through the roof into the vestry that the pensioners' lunch group had just vacated....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck on the move! Remember Less is More!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh that chocolate banana bread looks amazing! I can practically smell the deliciousness from here!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! That was quite a close lightning strike. Yikes! Nice to see the flowers there, and that chocolate banana bread looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's too bad about the tree. I hope they can save it, but I guess it might look a little weird without its top, being a conifer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have only been close to lightning strikes 4 or 5 times in my life, but they are scary. The flash, the noise, and the way your hair raises on your arms. Good luck on your moving. I hate it.

    ReplyDelete