Tuesday, September 13, 2022

RANDOM MEAL

 As our move to a new home looms (Thursday) there comes a time of cleaning out.

Cleaning out the dross and dreck that clutters shelves and closets.

But more important, cleaning out the refrigerator.

Odds and ends of things long forgotten have been discovered in the back of the fridge (yuck to some of them) but more safely and taste satisfying in the freezing compartment.

And so mealtimes become an adventure, a discovery, a re-discovery, and with the plus 70 years of cooking experience SWMBO claims and my appetite whetted by miles walked and thousands of pounds of boxes hauled . . .

. . . well, okay, so that's a tiny, teensy, miniscule, slight exaggeration on my part . . .

. . . these odd meals come together.

For example . . .




. . . pot-stickers topped with plum sauce, a melange of sauteed green beans, red peppers and onions steamed at the last minute with a splash of mirin, and a lovely combination of brown rice and quinoa.

Have I sounded a deprived sorry soul lately?

I lied.

15 comments:

  1. That looks utterly delicious, gourmet in fact!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No sorrier than usual, Bruce. You pot stickers look excellent, as do the vegs. I'm have bbq chicken thighs, with my dau-in-law's veg pizza...they have eschewed all meats, I assume they will come to their senses eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. y'know, Mike, those vegan meals are looking better than ever to me. But the bbq chicken thighs look pretty good, too. If only I could convince SWMBO that thighs are as good, or better, than breasts. Well, uh . . .

      Delete
    2. I always use thighs for rice meals and soup. They are juicier and more favorable. Your meal looks fantastic though.

      Delete
  3. I would love some of that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Again I say, you are a lucky man. Judy is a maestro!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes! Thursday! Good luck with the move!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well that does look yummy. Nice meal before the big move. Good luck with all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pot stickers?? what are those please? I thought they were chicken breasts with dark gravy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks like a pretty sensible meal considering you made it of odds and ends in the fridge. My odds-and-ends meals tend to be much more peculiar and usually involve peanut butter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks good. Good luck with the move.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I understand that you are moving house tomorrow (Thursday). I hope all goes well and that you have hired an exorcist to rid the new place of evil spirits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to move with my own evil spirits. The devil you know is better than the one that you don't.

      Delete